Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3
Thread: End of the World?
Buleste 11:15 7th September 2008
The Large Hadron Collider goes on line on 10th September and with the possibility of the experiment forming quasars and micro black holes could this be the end of the world? The good news is if it does happen is that we loose France and Switzerland first.
[Reply]
AlexJ 17:10 7th September 2008
I bet some guy at work £10 that it isn't going happen. If he ends up being right, then that £10 is the least of my worries.
[Reply]
Sharingan 17:58 7th September 2008
Can't we lose the United States while we're at it?
[Reply]
v85rawdeal 18:53 7th September 2008
Well, in The v85 Book of Utter Scientific Bollox, it states that:

Originally Posted by :
In theory, generating a microscopic alternative centre of gravity within close proximity of the earth's natural gravity could generate shockwaves through the very mantle of the earth, disrupting the flow of the earth's core and forcing molten rock up through the faultlines between the plates.

One of the most likely places to suffer would be the San Andreas Fault, and the effects could also be felt in Yellowstone. Other problems could also be felt along the other faultlines, and areas of volcanic activity. The force could even re-awaken some of the long-dead calderas.

[Reply]
burns flipper 19:19 7th September 2008
I read Flash Forward by Robert J Sawyer, in which everyone's conciousness is fast forwarded 21 years into the future for 2 minutes as soon as the particles collide in the new LHC. Everyone experiences where they are and what they're doing 21 years hence. Great read.

Pray you don't find yourself with another woman who's clearly your new wife!
[Reply]
Buleste 09:03 8th September 2008
Originally Posted by burns flipper:
I read Flash Forward by Robert J Sawyer, in which everyone's conciousness is fast forwarded 21 years into the future for 2 minutes as soon as the particles collide in the new LHC. Everyone experiences where they are and what they're doing 21 years hence. Great read.

Pray you don't find yourself with another woman who's clearly your new wife!
You mean i have to wait 21years before i get laid again?????? Now thats what oi call a dry spell.
[Reply]
burns flipper 11:55 8th September 2008
On the other hand, if it's a really good sh@g you get to experience it twice
[Reply]
toomanymikes 12:35 8th September 2008
Cool, thats my birthday. Ill get to see what pressies i get for my 50th!
[Reply]
Harrison 14:14 8th September 2008
What if you are dead? Do you suddenly find yourself trapped in a coffin? Or even worse, what if you were cremated? Would be a tight squeeze!

Anyway... if this does "disrupting the flow of the earth's core and forcing molten rock up through the faultlines between the plates" would this destroy the earth, or just get rid of a large percentage of our current "problem" civilizations?

I'm quite glad I just visited Italy. Would be annoying to have just missed out on seeing Pompeii and Herculaneum! And that just gave me a thought. Imagine if that did happen? In another 2000 years time someone might be carefully uncovering the USA for tourists to see and visit! There is a difference though. Who would really want to? I mean, look what they would find! All the badly constructed US wooden buildings would be long gone so all they would find is a very large number of silicone implants and plastic fast food signs and chairs! Not really something I would like our era to be remembered for!
[Reply]
Buleste 14:24 8th September 2008
I think if it does destroy the world then i'd love for someone, be they god or aliens, to leave a sign saying that "Some questions are better left being unanswered."
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3
Up