Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3 4
Thread: A600 Project
Harrison 16:34 1st October 2008
I'm not using a buffered interface at all in the A600, so I think I will try this ffstd64 patch and see what happens. Cheers for the link.

I take it I still need to limit each partition to 2GB or less?
[Reply]
Buleste 16:43 1st October 2008
From what I've just read in the documentation then yes <2GB partitions.
[Reply]
Harrison 11:16 7th October 2008
Aaaaaaaaaaaaahhhhhh!

Finished copying everything over to the HD. Booted fine in WinUAE and when tested in the A600. Then today I went to fix the drive inside the A600 properly and the system wouldn't boot when I tested it. I checked the cables and they were fine. So popped the drive back into the USB caddy. Windows detected the drive, but the drive won't boot in WinUAE now and doesn't show up as a drive in HDToolkit.

After all that has it suddenly died? It spins up fine and makes the usual initial seeking sounds and Windows reports the drive as the correct make and model.
[Reply]
Buleste 11:29 7th October 2008
Have you tried booting WB on the 600 via floppy and checking the hard drive from that?
[Reply]
Harrison 12:08 7th October 2008
Good idea. I hadn't tried that yet. So far I tried booting the drive directly in WinUAE, and then booting a WB ADF to see if the partitions would show up, but they didn't. I will try it on the real system, but I have the feeling it might not work because the drive didn't even show up in HDToolkit.
[Reply]
Buleste 12:21 7th October 2008
Hopefully it may show up on a real Miggy. There is an alternative to HDToolbox. If i can find it I'll put a link to it as it should be on Aminet.
[Reply]
Graham Humphrey 15:52 7th October 2008
HDInstTools I believe is what you're thinking of?
[Reply]
woody.cool 16:06 7th October 2008
I usually use HDInstTools, as it's far more versatile than HDToolBox
[Reply]
Harrison 17:25 7th October 2008
Cheers. I will give that a try.

On putting the HD back in the USB caddy and looking at the drive in Windows Disk Management it is showing the disk correctly, but with a status of Unallocated. Either this is due to the Amiga disk partitioning that it doesn't understand, or the drive has somehow lost it's RDB.

Are there any free RDB restoring/salvaging utilities I can try?
[Reply]
Harrison 18:31 7th October 2008
I've currently scanning the HD with the shareware recovery utility RDB-Salv. So far it is about 50% of the way through the disk and seems to be finding the partitions, so it does look like the RDB somehow got erased or corrupted. Hopefully this utility will sort it out and create a new one.

I've taken the opportunity to add this utility to the software database as it seems very useful and quite easy to use. Although you do need to read though the readme text file included to get a full run through of what you need to do and the order to do it in.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3 4
Up