Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2
Thread: A8n-e noisy northbridge fan replacement.
Harrison 16:59 6th August 2008
Ah! The jumpers on the internal audio headers are fitted as standard on the Asus boards to bridge the two connections, so glad you worked that one out. Can be hard to sometimes work some problems like that out as they are not always obvious.

Happily I spent more on my Motherboard and got the Asus A8N-SLI Platinum. No motherboard fans
[Reply]
Bloodwych 18:10 6th August 2008
Sounds like you've been in the wars J T.

I've had northbridge fans go bad and just pulled the plug. They seem for show on most boards as it doesn't get that warm in my experience (the nforce4 may be different).

Screws in general, especially on PCs, really don't need to be that tight. Most people over tighten screws way too much!
[Reply]
J T 20:34 6th August 2008
Originally Posted by Bloodwych:
Screws in general, especially on PCs, really don't need to be that tight. Most people over tighten screws way too much!
Yep, I certainly did when I first built the PC

The new heatsink is hot to the touch, so it must be working. Not sure I'd like to leave the chip with nothing on.

Then again, the fan on it was rubbish. It was just a fan thermal-pasted onto the chip. No proper heatsink part - just a fan blowing on a flat bit of metal. Very crude.

If I get a new motherboard in future I'll definitely look for one of the fancy pre-fitted heatpipe dealies.

Now thinking about replacing the GFX card fan as that is now the noisiest. Compared to how it was, however, it's bliss.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2
Up