Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3
Thread: HDD problems
Harrison 17:31 29th July 2008
I've just installed the 40GB 2.5" IDE drive in my A1200. I have it connected via a buffered IDE interface.

The drive boots into Workbench 3.1 (classicWB) perfectly well. However it is only showing the boot partition. The other 4 partitions on the HD are not being shown.

I thought this was because IDEFix hadn't been installed, so I installed it and then restarted the system, but still only the first partition is appearing and I cannot see or access the others.

What else do I need to do to get them to appear?

When I installed IDEFix'97 I just quickly ran through the default installation, but then skipped the CD part (as I've not added the CD drive yet).

Does anyone know?

How can I test to see if IDEFix is running?
[Reply]
woody.cool 17:42 29th July 2008
AmigaOS doesn't see anything higher than 4GB usually (iirc), might be better to choose a different file system than OFS or FFS etc.

iirc, you can check if IDEfix is running or not by trying to run C:IDEfix from an AmigaDOS shell window, you'll be told if it's already running.
[Reply]
Bloodwych 17:44 29th July 2008
Also how big is your boot partition?
[Reply]
woody.cool 17:54 29th July 2008
Best size boot partition is less than 2GB (in my opinion) but usually have my boot partition around 200MB-500MB (ish)
[Reply]
Bloodwych 18:08 29th July 2008
Originally Posted by woody.cool:
Best size boot partition is less than 2GB (in my opinion) but usually have my boot partition around 200MB-500MB (ish)
I agree. I wrote as much as I know on the subject here after getting bombarded with the same questions:

http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=32256

However, I'm only of limited help as I use less than 4GB on my real A1200.
[Reply]
Tiago 18:18 29th July 2008
I installed idefix yesterday, but my hd is 3.5, i did it to setup the cd-rom. Works fine.
I remember that he asked me if i would like to turn on the setting for hds higher then 4gb, but he only advice to do it if they were really bigger then 4gb.

If your version of idefix didnt ask you for this i can send you my version (if it is differente)
[Reply]
Harrison 22:20 29th July 2008
All of the drive partitions are using the SFS filesystem. The first boot partition is 2GB, so that isn't a problem. IDEFix'97 is running.

Now the strange bit. I just booted up the A1200 again to see if I could work out anything else. It still only showed the first partition when I booted it, so I loaded HDToolkit to have a look, and it showed me all of the partitions on the drive. So I quit it. I then decided to move all of the monitor devices over the storage to devs before rebooting so I could use a higher screenmode.

On rebooting all of the drives appeared! Could me just opening HDToolKit, looking at the partitions, and then closing it somehow got the extra partitions to appear after rebooting? And they are all reporting their correct size.

Now to install the CD drive.
[Reply]
woody.cool 07:22 30th July 2008
Another thing to check, is that the other partitions are set to AutoMount in HDToolbox or equivalent.
[Reply]
Buleste 09:11 30th July 2008
3.1 even with IDEFix can be a little tempremental about anything over the first 4GB not matter what the file system and i found that SFS at first can be a bit picky expecially when it comes to formatting. However usually at about the point when you've just torn out the last bit of hair and done something that shouldn't really have anything to do with it thats when it usually works. The only thing i can say is any partition after the first 4GB that is >4GB will have issues at first but once working should be fine.
[Reply]
Harrison 16:54 30th July 2008
It now seems that the extra partitions are not appearing on a cold boot, but appear after resetting and warm booting. Any ideas?

I've now installed the CD drive and that is working and automounting perfectly. Worked first time of trying.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3
Up