Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
Thread: iGame
Harrison 20:17 26th July 2008
Has anyone tried iGame?

It is a MUI Frontend for WHDLoad, on real Amigas!

http://igame.amigahellas.gr/

It looks quite cool. It can scan your HD and add new games to the frontend for you, and it can take screenshots in game. It also supports the manual addition of non WHD installed games to the frontend.

I'm going to give this a test with my newly setup ClassicWB installation on my A1200.
[Reply]
Harrison 21:51 26th July 2008
I've just tested iGame using ClassicWB and it works perfectly. It scanned my HD's WHDLoad directories and added all of the games to the frontend without any problems. So I now have all of the games listed in the frontend and can quickly search for specific games.

It doesn't however automatically know which genre each game should be so you need to edit the properties for each entry and select this. You also need to create your own screenshots for each game.

Maybe this is a future project we can use the CA screenshots for?

Anyway, here are the files. You need to have MUI 3.8 or newer installed and then copy the library and MCC files into the MUI installation, or iGame won't run.
Attached: iGame.lha (61.6 KB) MCC_Guigfx.lha (172.4 KB) MCC_TextEditor-15.27.lha (448.9 KB) guigfx_render_nofpu.lha (46.1 KB)
[Reply]
Bloodwych 21:51 26th July 2008
Funny you should mention that....

...I've included it in the new ClassicWB packs I'm uploading now, along with a faster and optimized LazyBench system. They both work well together.

iGame has a filter and pic capabilities, but uses a lot of memory and can be slow with a large list.

Lazybench system uses very little memory in comparison, is fast even on slow CPUs, but lacks a filter and screenshots.

These packs are beta and were due for release either when WHDLoad got updated, or xmas as that's when I normally update the packs.

As a thankyou however, I've decided to make the betas available for private members including the spanking new OS3.9 version! They all still require workbench/OS39 files to activate, but they won't be released to the public for some time as I have to rewrite the install script and webpage to cover the WHDLoad kickstart issue.
[Reply]
Harrison 21:53 26th July 2008
Sounds great. I look forward to trying these out.
[Reply]
Bloodwych 22:08 26th July 2008
For anyone who hasn't tried this and has a reasonable Amiga with plenty of RAM, grab the iGame files Harrison's linked.

It's a really good application.
[Reply]
Harrison 22:13 26th July 2008
You definitely need lots of fast ram. I've currently got it setup with all of the KGWHD games totaling 2416 games and it eats up 2MB of fast ram! And I've not added any screenshots to it yet, or sorted any of the games into genres.

Still, if you have a 68030 with at least 8MB fast ram you should be OK. I also expect it would run OK on a standard A1200 with some fast ram, but it could struggle with only 4MB fast ram to leave enough free to actually launch the games.
[Reply]
Graham Humphrey 22:19 26th July 2008
I reviewed it for Amiga Future a while back. It's pretty inefficient resources-wise but it's a useful program - but who cares about efficiency when you've got 32MB Fast RAM
[Reply]
Harrison 22:29 26th July 2008
Exactly. Not good for anyone running a standard A1200 with just some fast ram. But for anyone with an 030 or higher accelerator 32MB of ram can be found for next to nothing these days so it is a very useful program.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
Up