Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2
Thread: A history of the Amiga
Harrison 05:00 26th July 2008
I just came across a great series of articles exploring the history of the Amiga, from idea to conception, and beyond. The articles are written by Jeremy Reimer and can be found on arstechnica.com. They are very interesting to read and contain a lot of incite into the internal goings on at Commodore and explain some of the reasons for the problems and successes seem by the company over the years.

Definitely worth reading.

The parts of this series of articles is as follows:

A history of the Amiga, part 1: Genesis

A history of the Amiga, part 2: The birth of Amiga

A history of the Amiga, part 3: The first prototype

A history of the Amiga, part 4: Enter Commodore

A history of the Amiga, part 5: postlaunch blues

A history of the Amiga, part 6: stopping the bleeding

A history of the Amiga, part 7: Game on!

And if you become a member of the site you are then permitted to download each of these articles as a PDF for safe keeping.
[Reply]
my_lo 09:13 28th July 2008
Outstanding, thanks for the link Harrison ^_-
[Reply]
burns flipper 12:35 28th July 2008
Man, this brought a tear to my eye.

If only our favourite system wasn't so horribly, horribly dead!!
[Reply]
my_lo 13:39 28th July 2008
Sometimes, I think "what would be the latest amiga looking like if it would still be developped?" Would it be entirely black? With a tower or would they have another system? I would see it looking like those XPS towers of Dell, with a 22'' LCD and the little logo amiga on it and a blue light laser mouse, with a little "A" on the top of it. That would have been so awesome
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 15:27 28th July 2008
Nice link, although a lot too read
[Reply]
Sharingan 17:16 28th July 2008
Originally Posted by Demon Cleaner:

That's what the period we call 'working hours' are for, my friend
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 17:36 28th July 2008
Originally Posted by Sharingan:
Originally Posted by Demon Cleaner:

That's what the period we call 'working hours' are for, my friend
Guess you're right.
[Reply]
Harrison 01:47 29th July 2008
Yep. Definitely lots to read, that is true, but well worth it as these articles are very well written and very interesting. Unlike many others you find online, that just contain the same old facts that we all know, these actually contains things I didn't know before reading them, which is rare.
[Reply]
burns flipper 08:49 31st July 2008
I wonder if the guy who wrote it watched the actual video Dave Haynie made on his last day?
[Reply]
Teho 10:57 31st July 2008
Sounds like it. He describes it pretty well. The video is around for anyone to watch, it's on the DVD in the Amiga Forever Premium package for example. It's on youtube too, but I think a lot has been cut from it. It seems much too short and some things I remember like the AAA prototype isn't in it.

Great articles. Even though I know the story fairly well by now this wasn't a boring read. Will have to keep an eye out for new installments.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2
Up