Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3 4 5 6
Thread: An Xbox360 or a Playstation 3?
Ghost 00:22 27th July 2008
I would also like to get a PSP one day so that I can play Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops, God of War: Chains of Olympus and the upcoming Resistance: Retribution.
[Reply]
Submeg 05:20 27th July 2008
good call Bloodwych!
[Reply]
Bloodwych 09:34 27th July 2008
Originally Posted by Ghost:
I would also like to get a PSP one day so that I can play Metal Gear Solid Portable Ops, God of War: Chains of Olympus and the upcoming Resistance: Retribution.
I had a PSP years ago, but sold it because the D-Pad was crap and the analog nub, or whatever it is, hurt my hand after a long playing session. It's positioned too far down for my hands.

The screen was beautiful and graphics spot on. I'm not sure if the slim version is any better. That was the first handheld I bought since the Atari Lynx. I think the DS might actually suit me better, but for now I don't feel like grabbing a handheld.

Originally Posted by Submeg:
good call Bloodwych!
I also forgot to add no red ring of death!
[Reply]
Ghost 16:55 27th July 2008
Is the PSP really that bad?

I have a Nintendo DS and I am very happy with it but there simply are games on the PSP I would also like to play.
[Reply]
Bloodwych 17:05 27th July 2008
Originally Posted by Ghost:
Is the PSP really that bad?
It was for me and some others going by Google, but an equal amount don't have issues with holding it.
[Reply]
v85rawdeal 17:22 27th July 2008
I guess it depends on whether or not you are used to holding something that big in your hand. (But look on the bright side, at least it's not a Sega GameGear).

I tend not to have too much trouble with the PSP's design. Although I will admit I am not so much a fan of the Slim version, I find it feels a little flimsy in my hand. I have never had any real problems with the buttons.

The screen is lovely and clear, although, like most small screens, it does get a slight blur when the on-screen action is getting a way bit fast, but I guess I have adjusted to it (either that or I need new glasses).

Its versatility is certainly something that cannot be dismissed, although I cannot understand some people's attitude in calling it a 'casual gamer's console'. I'm sorry? Compared to what??? Has anybody noticed just how NTendo steer that adverts directly AT the casual gamer.

It does, as with the PS3/360 discussion come down to what you want from the console. I just don't have the patience to go out and buy a DS and try and get that to do all the stuff my PSP does. I am happy with the games for the PSP, and have yet to find one on the DS that has made me think 'I MUST have that game'.

I brought my PS1 because of Soulblade.

I brought my xbox because of Morrowind.

I brought my Gamecube because of Pikmin.

I brought my PS2 because of Simpson's Wrestling (Don't ask...)

I brought my Wii because I was bored...

I guess that means that my advice shouldn't be taken cos I don't know what the fcuk I am talking about .

In the end, if you are happy with your purchase, then it was the right one!
[Reply]
Ghost 23:55 27th July 2008
There are really only a handful of games I honestly would like to play on it, I don't care much for the rest.

I wish they had a PSP player for the PS2 or PS3.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 15:30 28th July 2008
Originally Posted by Harrison:
That is exactly the same reason I've not bought a 360, and don't really have much intention to until they drop of the map and I can grab one for a few quid! All of the good 360 games appear on the PC quite quickly after their 360 "exclusive" releases, so there is little point. Yes a 360 is much cheaper than a gaming PC, but a PC can do so much more so in my view is worth the extra investment.
I was also pro PC, but when I bought my first console, which was the PSX, this rapidely changed. I agree that you can do a lot more with a PC, but don't get a 200£ gfx card, and buy a console instead for gaming.

Advantage imo is that you can grab a game, put it in, no need to check out requirements, take your pad, make yourself comfortable on the couch and play the whole on a 50" plasma with 5.1 sound, it cannot get any better!!
[Reply]
Teho 21:35 28th July 2008
Some of us have their PCs hooked up to giant TVs and home theater soundsystems and use bluetooth keyboards and mice to among other things play games on it though.

(Some people brag about having twenty-some inch monitors.. Hah, I say! HAH! )

But consoles are definitely cheaper and easier to use, no argument there.
[Reply]
Harrison 01:17 29th July 2008
I was also not really a console user at all until the PSX. Before that I refused to buy one because the Amiga was better! However once the PSX came out the Amiga was really starting to fall behind and the new 3D games were not possible on our beloved machines. And at the time I couldn't afford a PC so the PSX was a great solution, and it was the beginning of my console owning. Since then I've ended up buying every console released since the PSX (except for the Sega Saturn), but I've yet to buy into the current generation of Wii, 360 or PS3 as I still haven't been really enticed by anything tuely amazing that I can't play on the PC or PS2. I will eventually own all three, but not yet.

Update: I just thought. I did actually own a SNES and Gameboy before the PSX, as I got the SNES right at the end of its life so grabbed some great game bargains. I had no initial intention to buy any consoles while the Amiga was my main system. However I came into an inheritence on my 21st birthday and decided to grab a SNES so I could play all the great games the system had exclusively. At the time the SNES was definitely the best console, and the Amiga the best home computer.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3 4 5 6
Up