Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3
Thread: Gvp 030 a1200
JLPedro 21:03 16th July 2008
Will trie to see if those chips get warm, by the way, i'ts the ones on the sockets or the ones solded to the board (socketed are marked with a circle)?? :

(This photo is from amiga hardware book, it's not from my card, but its the same pcb)

Other thing, if i use an 4mb or an 8mb simm and set the card to 8MB by jumpers, the amiga boots and shows 7xxx mb fast ram, but when testing with Amitek Hawk Ram testing program it fails at $600000, with the 4mb modules that would be expected, but with the 8mb ones someting is wrong.
[Reply]
Zetr0 00:18 17th July 2008
I believe the Jumpers are nothing more than a passive assurance of memory on the card, theres no probe or sensing of the PAL's

This shows that the CARD reports and ADDMEMS 8MBFast however when testing its failing around halfway through the memory space...

now this is VERY interesting, do you have a multi meter? if so we need to check some lines in the unit to see if its functioning
[Reply]
JLPedro 10:16 17th July 2008
Tested the card again, none of the chips gets hot, all of them normal temperature (don't heven noticed any warm), tested the card on another motherboard (same result), now will test the simms on a pentium 100 or a 486 (if i can find one) to see if they are damaged.
Zetr0, you were saiyng to test with a multimeter, i have one, can you show on the hawk picture the points were i should test? Thanks for the help.
[Reply]
Zetr0 13:32 17th July 2008
@JLPedro

I shall hit the specs in a little bit, and post here a where and how to
[Reply]
JLPedro 23:11 9th August 2008
Sorry to bring this up again but still no luck with 8mb simms (tested most of them on a pentium100 system and all ok, only don't work on the Hawk) , but can i trie to switch the pal ships ? if some are bad then the card won't even boot with 4mb right?
Other question... are they all the same? why are some solded and others mounted?

ps: i'm asking this questions about the Amitek Hawk 8mb/fpu card.
[Reply]
Zetr0 23:17 9th August 2008
@JLPedro

my friend,

PAL chips, (PALice) are Programmed Array Logic, so each chip has a specific method of quanting signals and outputs. changing them around wont make any difference and will only make the logic completely out of wack.

If anything you will need a Pre-programmed PAL chips to replace the ones that are specific to each socket on the board.
[Reply]
JLPedro 23:24 9th August 2008
Spoken like that it heven sounds easy... , so what you are sayng is that i should be happy to have 4mb of fast ram and live with it right? LOL
[Reply]
Zetr0 23:51 9th August 2008
YES!
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3
Up