Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3 4
Thread: A1200 Project
burns flipper 09:55 10th July 2008
Originally Posted by Buleste:
What OS are you using and how do you configure HDToolbox to recognise the File system??? I've managed to install it but i can't get it to work at all.
It was 3.0, and I just followed the instructions that came on the CD with PFS. Doesn't the FS get loaded onto the RDB?
[Reply]
Buleste 10:15 10th July 2008
Yes but it only recognises it as FFS for some reason.
[Reply]
Harrison 10:20 12th July 2008
The JAE to IDE adaptor turned up today and is now fitted to the CD drive ready to be installed in the A1200. (I wasn't too happy about the packaging of the interface. Was just in a standard letter envelope and so the postman had stuffed it through the letterbox. Wasn't damaged though...)

I'm now just waiting for the buffered IDE interface to arrive from AmigaKit, then I can get to work connecting it all up.
[Reply]
Buleste 10:38 12th July 2008
Managed to get PFS installed on 2 partitions on my Hard Drive. Impossible to get it to use anything over the first 4 GB though and it's less stable than SFS as within one day i had a file system error. I may be going back to SFS.
[Reply]
TiredOfLife 13:44 15th July 2008
Originally Posted by Buleste:
I've recently aquired PFS3 and i can't get it to work at all. I can install it, If i'm lucky i can get a partition to use PFS3 but i can't get it to be recognised. SFS can be tempremental if you go outside the first 4GB but it does work.
Not true mate.
Use SFS beyond the 4 gig barrier all the time, as do a lot of users.
One problem some people have with SFS is with the IBrowse cache.
A lot use FFS for this partition and SFS for the rest.

I have had no problems when using a buffered eide interface from Elbox.
Did have the odd corruption in the cache when using the FastATAIII interface though.

So 'm assuming the speed has something to do with this.
[Reply]
Buleste 14:01 15th July 2008
I managed to get a 6 GB partition working in PFS3 but i can't get any partition that starts outside the first 4GB of the HDD working which was a problem with SFS but has since been sorted out. Overall PFS may have some speed advantages over SFS but it is now outdated and poorly designed.
[Reply]
Harrison 14:07 15th July 2008
OK, so which file system should I use with my 40GB 2.5" HD? Should I partition the first one to under 4GB and use FFS on that and then another for the rest of the disk?

My buffered IDE interface arrived today so I'm ready to go ahead with the install.
[Reply]
TiredOfLife 15:53 15th July 2008
Use SFS for everything apart from maybe an Internet Cache partition.
Both my 3.9 and 4.0 installations are in the first 4gig and use SFS.

Linky

http://strohmayer.org/
[Reply]
Harrison 16:02 15th July 2008
So SFS is freeware? I didn't realise that.

I'm going to give it a go later.

So what are the steps needed?
[Reply]
Buleste 18:38 15th July 2008
SFS is simple. stick it in L: and then add it to the RDB and Bobs your mothers brother. Make sure you have the latest version though.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3 4
Up