Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2
Thread: Why did I need to read the forum rules again?
Stephen Coates 14:17 24th June 2008
Harrison, why did I have to accept the rules again in order to make this post?
[Reply]
Harrison 14:20 24th June 2008
I upgraded the forum rules mod to the latest version and had to uninstall the old before installing the new, so it reset the agreement with all members.
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 14:26 24th June 2008
Is it really necessary to have that site rules things? I'm guessing that the time delayed submit button requires javascript because it didn't seem to work until I enabled it.
[Reply]
Harrison 14:40 24th June 2008
It ensures that everyone has agreed to the rules, so they can't say they didn't notice a certain rule later on. It also allows me to update and add new rules and then force everyone to be aware of the changes by forcing everyone to accept them again.

As for javascript. That is a mute argument really. vBulletin and most sites these days (the main CA site especially) utilise javascript in the form of AJAX technology quite heavily to give the end user a much nicer user experience. Users with it disabled are really restricting their browsing experience for no good reason. These days computers are not slowed down by javascript being used unlike a few years ago, and the security issues of having javascript active are very minimal. If you have a decent viruschecker running, as everyone should these days, then any dangerous javascript will automatically be captured before it can do anything.
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 15:04 25th June 2008
Ah, but do people read them anyway? There may have been a 20 second delay, but I spent that entire 20 seconds staring at the counter.
[Reply]
Harrison 15:38 25th June 2008
If the counter fixated your gaze then there is little I can do to prevent that. It basically use ensures that members have been forced to look at the rules page. If they don't read it then it is only themselves who is to blame when they eventually break rules and face probation or a ban.
[Reply]
Teho 15:45 25th June 2008
I find I am really fighting the urge to click that "Force User To Accept Forum Rules"-link in Steve's profile right now, considering he's just admitted to not having read them.
[Reply]
Harrison 15:48 25th June 2008
I'm not alone then. he he
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 16:54 25th June 2008
I have read them numerous times over the years. I just didn't read them this time.
[Reply]
TiredOfLife 21:01 26th June 2008
This is a disgrace.
I have read them and memorised every single rule.
I don't see why Ste should get away with this.

Teho, just do it, don't let the weasel, weasel out of it.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2
Up