Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3
Thread: The oldest mag you have
slicer1000 09:31 9th April 2009
I have Issue 9 of amiga format and issue 1 of amiga power
[Reply]
Cortona 16:21 31st May 2009
I've hunted down my old Advance Computer Entertainment (ACE) mags. I've got June 1988 to August 1989 (March '89 is missing) and November 1990. I seem to remember defecting to Amiga Format around August '89.

I'll tell you what - there's nothing like reading through those old mags to make you glad your in the modern age of computing!

"CD-i... the future of computer games?"

If I get some time, I'll scan some pages. Does anyone have any scanning tips?
[Reply]
woody.cool 09:22 1st June 2009
On Saturday, when I was organising myself for the RCM meeting, I discovered an old Amstrad Action magazine
[Reply]
Harrison 16:01 1st June 2009
Originally Posted by Cortona:
I'll tell you what - there's nothing like reading through those old mags to make you glad your in the modern age of computing!

"CD-i... the future of computer games?"
I love reading old magazines again. Always beings back so many memories and there is so much you completely forget you ever originally read. It is also great reading the old reviews again and seeing how true they really were all these years later.

And as with everyone, the adverts are the best. Seeing the mad claims (much like the CDi) or the silly prices for things that are now very out of date.

Originally Posted by Cortona:
If I get some time, I'll scan some pages. Does anyone have any scanning tips?
It is better to scan at a higher resolution than needed, as you can reduce the image size later. It is better to have more pixels to work with than not enough. 150 - 300 DPI is a good scanning size range.

Scanners do also tend to slightly blur things and the colours are never 100% accurate. So after scanning the first thing to do is apply a sharpen filter to the image. For Photoshop the best is Unsharpen Mask at about 65-80%. And also do some colour correction. Again in Photoshop I tend to use the levels control as scanned images are never by default using the whole available range of colours, brightness and contrast. Adjusting the levels to bring in the top and bottom of an image's colour range is often all that is needed to fix the colour balance, brightness and contrast all in one go.

If you are using different software then you can achieve similar results using the brightness and contrast filters, and a sharpen filter. Just don't over sharpen or over saturate the colours.

Originally Posted by woody.cool:
On Saturday, when I was organising myself for the RCM meeting, I discovered an old Amstrad Action magazine
Nice. I used to buy that in my CPC days. I might even have a couple of magazines stashing in my parents loft somewhere. I really do need to spend a couple of days clearing out their loft and sorting out what I still have up there.
[Reply]
Puni/Void 14:20 2nd June 2009
I've got a Commodore User magazine from 1984. This was the first year of the magazine if I remember correctly. Also have some older Commodore related magazines. These also feature Amiga stuff.

It's fun to browse through them. Interesting to see how much things have changed since the 80's.
[Reply]
Shoonay 12:39 15th June 2009
A real, paper one? Probably some old Top Secret issue from 1990
A scanned digital version? That would probably be the 1st issue of Bajtek from 1985

(You can grab a few here but beware, it's Polish only, lol)
[Reply]
xpect 08:59 17th June 2009
The oldest computer mag I have is Byte magazine from November 1979. It was from a set that my uncle had and I kept this oldest number as a collectable, till today.

On Amiga side I have a September 1988 Commodore Amiga Revue the first Amiga magazine i found and bought.

In terms of publications I have several 1945 Reader's Digest, which are the oldest monthly magazines I have.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3
Up