Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3 4 5
Thread: Alien Breed 3D 1 and 2: who played them?
Ghost 03:09 3rd June 2008
Hello guys,

Of all the Amiga FPS games I remember these two games the most.
Which of you have played them and what did you think of them?
[Reply]
Harrison 03:29 3rd June 2008
Yep, I purchased them both on release and really enjoyed them. You really needed an AGA amiga with an 030 CPU and some fast ram to start getting the most from these games.

They were both great games, with the second being much better than the first and allowing full screen 3D if you had a system powerful enough.

I don't think they were as good as the original 2D Alien Breed games. Those were pure arcade shooting fun. The 3D versions were basically Doom/Dark Forces in the Alien Breed universe more than anything else. Still great fun to play though.

As for the best FPS on the Amiga, Breathless and Gloom AGA were pretty good examples. However when Doom was releases for the Amiga I couldn't stop playing it.
[Reply]
Noelozzy 07:13 3rd June 2008
I enjoyed it so much I made a map LOL

kept getting lost

and i have some codes I have kept
[Reply]
Puni/Void 10:41 3rd June 2008
@Ghost

Originally Posted by :
Hello guys,

Of all the Amiga FPS games I remember these two games the most.
Which of you have played them and what did you think of them?
Hi Ghost,

Alien Breed 3D is a great game in my opinion. Used to play it quite a lot when it was released back in the 90's. The game didn't have as good graphics as Breathless and Gloom, but it had fine playability. I recently gave it a go on the CD32 and it was good fun.

As for Alien Breed 3D 2, I must admit I haven't played it as much. Might have something to do with the hardware requirements. At the time I didn't have the machine power to run in a decent resolution, so I had to play with a small window. Needless to say, it wasn't that much fun. Still, I know it's an ok game and for the time, the graphics were fantastic.

Other FPS games for the Amiga I've tried are Testament, Gloom (normal and Deluxe), Fears, Death Mask, Breathless, Nemac, Genetic Species (excellent), and many others.

Hehe.. I see that Harrison mentions Doom for Amiga. Yeah, remember the port very well. It actually ran very good on a 030!
[Reply]
Buleste 11:08 3rd June 2008
I've got the CD32 version of AB3D and played it the other day. I'd forgotten how utterly confusing the graphics are in it. As for AB3DII-TKG i've also got that and it's a good game if you have a good machine. Display is too small though. I'd recommend playing TKG on an emulated Amiga it's a lot faster.
[Reply]
Harrison 12:19 3rd June 2008
They really should remake AB3D2 for current PCs. Imagine how great the visuals could be now!
[Reply]
Teho 16:09 3rd June 2008
But would they get away with ripping off the Alien design today?
[Reply]
Harrison 16:34 3rd June 2008
That is a good point. Actually that just reminded me that they were working on a new version of the Alien Breed series for the PC in an overhead view 3D style. Remember I posted some screenshots and info about this a long time ago? That got scrapped and I wonder if that was a copyright/licensing issue?
[Reply]
Ghost 21:42 3rd June 2008
I think more that Team 17 more considered that an overhead shooter might not sell as well as it did in the days of the Amiga.
It is not so that Fox has copyrighted the name "Alien", there are plenty of games that have Alien in their title or feature xenomorph like creatures and Fox never tried to stop them.

The game closest to a new overhead Alien Breed was Shadowgrounds and that didn't exactly storm the charts.
[Reply]
TiredOfLife 23:34 3rd June 2008
Never played Alien Breed 3D.
Bought AB3DII and really enjoyed that.
Also the Gloom series, Genetic Species, Doom, Hexen and Heretic.
Have recently bought Heretic II but haven't played it yet.
(Some issues with OS4 and registering it)
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3 4 5
Up