Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3 4 5 6
Thread: Alien Breed 3D 1 and 2: who played them?
Harrison 21:45 11th August 2008
Alien Breed 3D is still an important game in the history of the Amiga. But I would say that Alien Breed '92 SE is probably the best example of the series if you don't have that already. For me the top down above view Alien Breed games were the real ones and the 3D ones were just a cash in on the popularity and hype of Doom.
[Reply]
Graham Humphrey 22:01 11th August 2008
Yeah I agree, Alien Breed 3D isn't a 'real' Alien Breed game, it's just an FPS with the Alien Breed name tacked on to it. Still a pretty good game though, much better than its awful, incredibly system-hungry sequel.

SE '92 is the best AB game, they do seem to get gradually worse after that up until AB3D though.
[Reply]
Ghost 02:25 12th August 2008
Trying to get my thoughts in order here.

I was very convinced of getting Alien Breed 3D for my collection, so when I saw the game offered again on Ebay I spoke with the seller about shipping to the Netherlands and put the link on My Ebay.

But after that a thought started to linger in my mind, "Is this really what I want to have?"
Altogether fifteen Euros for purchase and shipping isn't that much but still, it is fifteen Euros you can also spend in another way, getting an Amiga title like Desert Strike, First Samurai/Second Samurai, other Amiga games, or other items I might want a lot more.

As people pointed out, Alien Breed 3D was made to tap into the Doom phenomenon by offering something similar to the Amiga, but if I honestly want to have something Doom like I can always get Doom, it is not that hard to get legally or illegal.

I honestly don't know what to decide, that is why I am asking you guys.

It's a bit hard to put down what really where the best Amiga games a fan should have.

This is what I have collected so far

James Pond 1/2/3
K240
Walker
Mega Lo Mania
Cannon Fodder
Robocop 3
Epic
Starflight 1&2
Captive
Liberation (Amiga 1200 + CD32)
Apocalypse
Impossible Mission 2025 (think ECS + CD32)
Fantastic Voyage
Zeewolf
Fire Force (regular + CD32)
Dragon Wars

Napalm
Wasted Dreams
Codename Hell Squad
(not really part of the Amiga's classic period)
[Reply]
Harrison 07:51 12th August 2008
Honestly I think that everyones Amiga collection is going to be unique to them. Everyone has their favourite games based on their memories at the time and what they bought on release back in the day. And everyone has different tastes.

I noticed in your list that you don't have many RPGs. There are a lot of RPGs for the Amiga that were key to its popularity. Two of the biggest were Dungeon Master and Eye of the Beholder 1 & 2. Then there were others like Heroquest.

Also adventure games. This is a genre that was very important on the Amiga. Secret of Monkey Island 1 and 2 are very important games in the Amiga's history. As is Beneath a Steel Sky and Lure of the Temptress.

Also there are the early games that were key to the initial sales of the A500. Defender of the Crown especially.

There are loads more. I would say the best games to collect are those that were originally developed for the Amiga, such as Sim City or Shadow of the Beast, or were only ever released on the Amiga such as Superfrog.
[Reply]
Ghost 17:52 12th August 2008
Well as I mentioned before, I enjoyed adventures more on the PC so that is why I kept them of the list, I have most of them for the PC already.

Actually Sim City was originally developed on the Macintosh

Yes, a collection will always be unique to the tastes of the collector, but I spoke with you about this before, "not collecting everything I happen to come across".

Do any of you have a definite list of games they want to have for their Amiga collection, games which they really want to own?

Today someone else offered Moonstone again on Ebay.

I know that the classic Cinemaware games are also very popular; Defender of the Crown, Rocket Ranger, It came from the desert.
[Reply]
Ghost 21:58 12th August 2008
Well I found a 'middle way' I am happy with.
I still have a load of old Game Boy and Game Gear stuff I will sell to a game store tomorrow, with that money I can buy Alien Breed 3D and probably have some more for perhaps one or two older games.

Still, going to try to save up again as I don't want to buy just old games all the time.
[Reply]
Harrison 23:25 12th August 2008
Originally Posted by Ghost:
Actually Sim City was originally developed on the Macintosh
Umm... not actually true.

Sim City was originally developed on the Commodore 64 with the name Micropolis. However it was not published for another four years; by which time the C64 was getting old and the 16-bit era was in full swing. The first version of Sim City was released in 1988 as a join release on both the Amiga and Mac. So the Amiga and Mac versions are both the original versions, however it was developed on the C64. And then a year later in 1989 it was released on the PC and C64.

Also don't forget that back in 1989 the Mac was still a B/W OS so the Amiga version of Sim City looked much better in its full colour.
[Reply]
Ghost 23:57 12th August 2008
Oh, well another fact learned today.

Did Sim City ever appear on the C64?
[Reply]
Harrison 00:10 13th August 2008
Yes, it was released a year after the Amiga and Mac versions, in 1989 (as mentioned above ).

I used to love the Amiga version until Sim City 2000 was released for AGA machines. I then played that a lot on my A4000. And I still prefer 2000 and 3000 to the newer Sim City 4.
[Reply]
Ghost 00:35 13th August 2008
Well I guess the Alien Breed 3D issue has been resolved but I honestly need to do something about that bad habit of purchasing anything that has caught my interest.
I am seriously worried that it could get me into trouble even though I know what the limits of my finances are.

I honestly want to control this desire.
Okay it is not as awful as some other habits, there are people who are addicted to gambling or waste loads of money on other things but still.

So are there people here who make lists of retro games they want to own?

Well regarding Amiga I guess I might still want to have one of the earlier Alien Breed (Alien Breed 1/SE '92), Desert Strike, First Samurai/Second Samurai (the last is easier to find), North and South, and perhaps some of the RPGs Harrison

Shadow of the Beast games might be nice but they are often very expensive.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3 4 5 6
Up