Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
Poll: Emulators or the real thing?
Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.
Emulators or the real thing?
  • View Poll Results

1 2 3
    Thread: Emulators or the real thing?
    JLPedro 09:01 28th May 2008
    I think the amiga wouldn't have survided till now without emulation, its great for testing and very fast, and becoming more and mora acurate. But nothing beats playing with the real amiga (i have two, a 1200 and a 600) or any other computer (also spectrum and msx).
    [Reply]
    Stephen Coates 10:10 28th May 2008
    The idea of having windows runing in the background might have something to do with it
    [Reply]
    Tiago 12:39 28th May 2008
    Both !

Some games in the real thing others in winuae.
    Some demos i can only run in emulation... so both is the best answer!
    [Reply]
    Buleste 12:48 28th May 2008
    In a bizarre twist i've tried some of the 'high end' games for standard amiga on Win uae and whilst Payback is super fast and playable - Naplam is totally unplayable. It's so fast that even if you were ODing on 'Phet it would be impossible to play. However an emulated amiga emulating a c64 works fine.
    [Reply]
    Harrison 13:16 28th May 2008
    You can slow down emulation though to try and fix problems with games running to fast. It can require some experimentation with the settings though.
    [Reply]
    AlexJ 14:09 28th May 2008
    Isn't there a "match A500 timing exactly" option. Having that on may help.
    [Reply]
    Graham Humphrey 18:26 1st June 2008
    I didn't realise it was a multiple choice poll... never mind.

I prefer real Amigas but WinUAE is excellent and without it I doubt there'd be as much interest in the Amiga these days.
    [Reply]
    my_lo 09:50 19th June 2008
    I had an amiga 500 which i sold to buy an amiga 1200 which i sold to buy my first PC, 12 years ago... I will always regret to have sold them... ow man i loved them T_T, especially the A1200 but things are what they are and i only have space for one computer now, so i chose a PC with emulators. If i could chose, i would have a luna park at home and a room for the c64 and A1200 but i only have a small room, so the choice is easy: emulation (with a bitter taste).
    [Reply]
    Harrison 10:35 19th June 2008
    Hi my_lo and welcome.

That is the problem many now face. A lack of room and desk space forced a lot of people to sell their Amigas and buy a PC. But it seems many are now decided to get back into the Amiga and buying second hand Amigas to relive the old days. Emulation is very good these days, but it does still feel like something special is missing compared to the real thing.
    [Reply]
    my_lo 11:54 19th June 2008
    Originally Posted by Harrison:
    Hi my_lo and welcome.

That is the problem many now face. A lack of room and desk space forced a lot of people to sell their Amigas and buy a PC. But it seems many are now decided to get back into the Amiga and buying second hand Amigas to relive the old days. Emulation is very good these days, but it does still feel like something special is missing compared to the real thing.
    Thanks Harrison, i'm sooo happy to have found such a great community

I couldn't agree more, emulation is practical but it'll never replace my good old collection of floppys, the lists we were exchanging with my neighbour... (to myself: i won't shed a tear, i won't shed a tear).
    But who knows, one day, in a bigger house, i may join the others and ebay some A1200
    [Reply]
    Tags:Array
    1 2 3
    Up