Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2
Thread: AmigaDOS commands
petee1979 06:14 15th May 2008
Hi All

not sure if i'm in the right section so sorry if it's not, i havent used the Amiga for so many years but i have just loaded WHDLoad on workbench 3.1, most of the games that i have for it dont have a icon to start the game they have a .slave file which i can only start from the CLI (only from not remembering other ways), i am sick of going into each directory to start every game manually, i am wanting to know if there's a way to create an icon which points to a command to start the game? eg through an icon start whdload dh1:games/1943.slave

thanks for any help available.
[Reply]
Buleste 07:30 15th May 2008
Are these installs you've created or are they installs you've downloaded? Most WHDLoad scripts create a icon for you. If you downloaded them then why not try KGWHD or whdownload for some working versions with icons (Apart from Robocop3).
[Reply]
Harrison 10:53 15th May 2008
I second that. Most WHDLoad installers include an icon with them so if you are setting up your own original games using WHDLoad then try some of the official installers on their site. Otherwise just download the game packs from KGWHD as they contain the icons and are setup and ready to go.

One further suggestion is to take a look at the package ClassicWB. This is a predefined Workbench 3 installation that you can install on your HD and it has the WHDLoad setup for you ready to go. Just drop in the KGWHD load game packs and start playing the games. Take a look at the classicWB packs here.
[Reply]
petee1979 00:35 16th May 2008
I am actually running Amiga Sys 4, they werent installs that i downloaded, i got the zip files for all letters of the alphabet from the KGWHD and put them into my work folder, only very few of them have icons to load the games, 9 out of 10 only have the .slave files, any other ideas, or is just better to download them all from the whddownload site.

thanks again for your help guys.
[Reply]
Harrison 00:47 16th May 2008
Sounds a bit odd. I have all of the Games from KGWHD and every one I've ever tried has an icon.

Could it have got messed up when you extracted the KGWHD archives? The game icons, as with all Amiga workbench icons, are stored as .info files in the same directory as the files they are linked to, and will have the same name.
[Reply]
petee1979 04:41 18th May 2008
not sure, i burnt the archives so i will try and unzip them again, failing that i will try to re-download them, but so far im sick of using the shell to start every game....

do you know of any way to make a menu with a listing of every game i have that can start them from the menu?

thanks for your help.
[Reply]
Castelle 08:10 18th May 2008
Originally Posted by petee1979:
not sure, i burnt the archives so i will try and unzip them again, failing that i will try to re-download them, but so far im sick of using the shell to start every game...
I know its really incredibly obvious but have you "cleaned up" the drawer the games are in and if anything, "show all files"

I know, I know... I deserve a slap !!
[Reply]
Castelle 15:29 18th May 2008
Originally Posted by Harrison:
Sounds a bit odd. I have all of the Games from KGWHD and every one I've ever tried has an icon.

Could it have got messed up when you extracted the KGWHD archives? The game icons, as with all Amiga workbench icons, are stored as .info files in the same directory as the files they are linked to, and will have the same name.
Sorry guys, the KGWHD archives have been removed from the site !! Not a sausage to download now!!
If you have your original ECS & AGA game disks and WHDLoad or the alternative is nab them WHDownload !!

PS. a note to newbies, please support WHDLoad and register your copy - its only about 15 quid with PayPal.

Lets keep the Amiga scene going guys
[Reply]
Graham Humphrey 16:22 18th May 2008
They were deleted apparently, KG is going to work on restoring them. They're not gone forever (hopefully).
[Reply]
Buleste 20:29 18th May 2008
Com nack Angry Simmian all is forgiven!!!!
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2
Up