Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
Thread: Audio Touch and budget DIY touchscreen
Harrison 11:56 13th May 2008
I've just been viewing a project called AudioTouch, which is the work of a student called Seth Sandler.

He is using some technology that allows you to build a very cheap (as little as £5) touch screen interface and it allows for multi finger control.

The basic version just needs a webcam, a box, a clear surface (glass, plastic etc), a PC and the free software.

Check out this being built and used here.

But he has gone much further than this and created a rear projection table version of this touch screen so you are actually touching the objects on the screen and interacting with them. This is really cool and I definitely need to build one of these once he releases his guide on how to build it (I could work it out for myself but a guide to building something that is guaranteed to work is a much nicer solution). Check out the AudioTouch here and view the video.

And how much are M$ looking to charge for their forthcoming touchscreen coffee table?

Now all we need to work out is how to get emulators (mame) running and interacting with this table!

ps. thanks to Sarek2K for originally posting a link to this project on the oldskooluk forums.
[Reply]
Zetr0 13:06 13th May 2008
Imma sourcing components now

i must have a uber coffee (cocktail) table with it all rolled into MAME and UAE.... OH my!
[Reply]
Harrison 13:12 13th May 2008
I've already been dreaming of all the arcade games you could play with this system if we can get the software to interface with the table. Imagine lightgun games for example and some of the classic arcade games such a robotron if you could get it to interact by rotating and firing at the point you touch on the screen. That would be really cool.
[Reply]
Zetr0 13:23 13th May 2008
Originally Posted by Harrison:
I've already been dreaming of all the arcade games you could play with this system if we can get the software to interface with the table. Imagine lightgun games for example and some of the classic arcade games such a robotron if you could get it to interact by rotating and firing at the point you touch on the screen. That would be really cool.
Stop it H, i have already run out of pocket money this month.... AND THAT WAS LAST MONTH!!!!!!

i fear i may need to put out more to the wifie.....
[Reply]
AlexJ 13:28 13th May 2008
That's so cool. Shame the mini has a huge box below it, but the table looks awesome.
[Reply]
Harrison 13:59 13th May 2008
I'm wondering if the box does need to be that big. Does it? I'm thinking that it must be down to the viewing angle of the camera being used, so if we can find one with a wide viewing angle then the depth of the box wouldn't need to be as high. Although I have the feeling that a fish eye lens would distort too much to be accurate.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
Up