Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2
Thread: Amiga Expert or Wordsmith ?
Zetr0 20:13 10th May 2008
Hello there my fellow Classic Amigans

after a little chat in a thread here about some hardware issues I followed up a link on a volunteer expert site, that helps with all sorts from needle craft to hardware IT.

http://www.allexperts.com

So from this i should give something back to the community that I love, I figured I would join as a volunteer expert.

All you have to do is fill in a little questionnaire and they either accept or reject accordingly...

so... as some of you know me what do you think happened next?

heres the email i received

Originally Posted by :
Sorry, your application was rejected because of grammar and spelling errors

Application for category Amiga Problems follows below:

All an answer

most questions relating to all models of the Amiga computer, From
hardware, Hacking and modifying to Software, installing, and creating. I have
been very fortunate to be friends whom always seem to know more than me

Experience in the area

I have 18 years experience of the Amiga
computer as a user and developer, I own atleast a dozen various models of which
are in various states from stock to seriously upgraded. I really enjoy helping
people get the most from their retro hobby.

I develop Hardware for these computers, for uses to upgrade their computers. I
also write software.

Organizations

I am part of the IEEE and BCS Societies, also I am part of the Classic Amiga Community www.classicamiga.net, as well as the EAB.abime.net and OldSkool.co.uk
communities

Publications

If we include the internet as a publication then.

A600 upgrading can be found here
http://eab.abime.net/showthread.php?t=27727

I have also published various works here (some are community based)
http://www.guildserver.co.uk/projects

Education/Credentials

The Relevant

BSc Computing Science (HONS)
HND Computing Studies
VQ City and Guilds II and III in Software Development, Structured Programming
Techniques and Systems Analysis

Awards and Honors

25 meter swimming certificate
well anyway... i thought it was crazy, to deny my offer to help but hey.... at least it keeps my forum whoring up

so heres a question, perhaps a poser to discuss, have you be dis-allowed to help for no practical or even fathomable reason?
[Reply]
Buleste 21:07 10th May 2008
It must've been the swimming that did it. You should know that true computer experts have no sense of humour unless it's about continuity errors in Dr Who.
[Reply]
Zetr0 21:24 10th May 2008
damn...... i've been found out.... my geekdom is now in jepordy......
[Reply]
Harrison 13:55 12th May 2008
If they won't accept you with all of the experience you have in the field then I don't really think the site is worth bothering about.

I just had a quick look through the Amiga section of the site and most of the answers given by the current Amiga "experts" on there are really crap. Basic information that most normal Amiga users could have given, and some such as getting old games to run on an A1200 are a joke.

And for emulation the expert starts off in his answer by saying he hasn't actually ever tried Amiga emulation. So how does that make him an expert! Quite laughable!
[Reply]
TiredOfLife 14:35 12th May 2008
I'll think I'll give that site a miss then.
Lack of good grammer or lack of computing expertise?
Which one is most important on a computing forum.
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 14:53 12th May 2008
I wouldn't say your grammar is excellent from that, which is probably one of the reasons they don't want you, but as others have mentioned the amiga knowledge is more important, well, as long as it makes sense. I would say your grammar is more than good enough to qualify as an Amiga Expert. Maybe they just want everything on their site to be in perfect english.
[Reply]
Buleste 15:48 12th May 2008
The only problem with my Grammar is she died 4 years ago.
[Reply]
Zetr0 19:38 12th May 2008
meh....

its ironic.... i fear i should of paid more attention in english than that of computer class.... ohh how little they knew LOL.

I have to admit, I dont belive my grammar is that bad.... after all you are only given several boxes with poory worded questions...

so for me atleast its a ( C- : must try harder) oh well...

But as Harrison states, there not really what i would call expert questions, and the particular expert needs to equip himself with more knowledge, but atleast he is obviously better at english, which is what is required....

meh.... i blame Buleste.... not saying its his fault.... but i am going to blame him anyway
[Reply]
Buleste 20:04 12th May 2008
Fairy Nuff.
[Reply]
Buleste 10:29 14th May 2008
I will impart a bit of wisdom given to me in the past.

"If you can't join them, BEAT THEM!!!!"
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2
Up