Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2
Thread: Games you get back too
Ghost 05:56 3rd May 2008
Hi all,

Next to all classic Amiga games you know and love, which PC games do you get back to once in a while, despite how old they may be?

Well I don't need to mention the adventure games as they will always remain classics so instead I turn to FPS games.
The problem with FPS games sometimes is that they do not age well, while the original Doom and Wolfenstein3D are still as playable as they day they were made and remain playable because of their no-frills game play (no cut-scenes and such) some of the older story driven games loose their appeal after a while.

Still I do occasional play some of my favorites, the last couple of days I have played Jedi Knight: Jedi Outcast and Jedi Knight: Jedi Academy again.
While I enjoy the storyline of Outcast more than Academy there are elements in Academy I like a lot too like the slightly better graphical details and the various environments such as a visit to a Tibanna Gas mining platform, Bast Castle, that small Imperial base on Dosuun, and the Imperial Dreadnought mission which I always save for last.

So which games do you all get back to from time to time?
[Reply]
Buleste 11:13 3rd May 2008
I always go back to Dawn of War, Knights of Legend and early Civilizations.
[Reply]
Harrison 11:22 3rd May 2008
I really got into the original AGA version of Civ and played it for a very long time. But I've never managed to get into the newer versions at all, especially Civ 4. I just got a bit bored by it. But then I loaded up the original on my A4000 and enjoyed it just as much.

Funny how often you can't improve on an original.
[Reply]
Zetr0 13:42 3rd May 2008
for me...

I have a lots of DOS games, but this last month...

been giving megalomania a beating the otherday, as well as desert strike

hmmm may give canno fodder a thrashing later.

been giving the ps2 a beating lately too

With Burnout: Revenge

alas Burnout: Domminator although better graphically, it totaly sux in game play... its overly hard with very little reward for effort AND they removed a lot of game types!!

bah... back to some XCOM me thinks...
[Reply]
Sharingan 20:55 3rd May 2008
The Civilization games are definitely ones to go back to from time to time.

I've also revisited StarCraft and Warcraft III quite often, initially planning only 'to have a quick go' but ending up replaying the whole damn storyline again.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 16:05 5th May 2008
Hm, I sense another XCom fan here. I also liked the 3rd one, Apocalypse and played through it. I also liked Jagged Alliance 2 at that time, and for me, those were the 2 best games if you like the genre. Later then came Silent Storm, but that one was really tough.
[Reply]
Harrison 18:12 5th May 2008
Answering the threads actual question... I revisit a lot of older PC titles a lot.

I agree that 3D games age much faster than sprite based games of the Amiga era. But revisiting older PC titles has the big advantage that now we can whack all of the settings up to maximum and see and play the games in their highest settings with very fast frame rates, to experience the games as intended. A complete contrast to when we all played them on release where we would have needed to play around with the graphics settings to get the game running smoothly.

Out of all games on the PC one of my favourites still remains as Return to Castle Wolfenstein. I still play that right through at least once a year. It is a great game with brilliant atmosphere and gameplay.

Other games do play often include Freelancer, Grand Prix 4, Baldur's Gate series, Morrowind and Oblivion (Morrowind still feels bigger, more complex and as if I still have much more to explore and do), Warcraft III, Dungeon Siege, BF1942, X series, Half Life and its expansions and mods, Quake 3... the list goes on.

I've got loads of favourite PC games from the last 10+ years and often have a thumb through my collection and decide to replay something.
[Reply]
sarek2k 22:53 6th May 2008
I play Command & Conquer Zero hour loads (with mods currently playing with bengs laser/demo/nuke general mod) i also quite often revisit Warcraft 1. I still like Meglomania (that Zetro mentioned) as well as goal i like to put it on easy with a soft ref put 20 mins each half and hammer in as many goals as i can
[Reply]
Harrison 22:55 6th May 2008
Megalomania is a brilliant game, although it has to be the Amiga version, and not the PC one.
[Reply]
Ghost 05:50 8th May 2008
What's wrong with the PC version?
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2
Up