Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3 4 5 6
Thread: First player review for GTA4
toomanymikes 12:31 5th May 2008
Mine froze on sat night even though I was touching wood all weekend...
[Reply]
Submeg 12:40 5th May 2008
Originally Posted by toomanymikes:
splinters?

performance anxiety?

maybe just RSI?

So many ways to pay you out on that one...
[Reply]
toomanymikes 19:20 5th May 2008
Originally Posted by Submeg:
Originally Posted by toomanymikes:
splinters?

performance anxiety?

maybe just RSI?

So many ways to pay you out on that one...
he he...
[Reply]
J T 09:36 6th May 2008
Installing to HD and crashing? I thought the PS3 was supposed to be better than life itself.....

Still, great game though. I quite like the way the cars handle, and the new combat system makes shootouts a lot better (over the weekend had a fairly large shootout in a warehouse, it worked quite well and was pretty exciting).
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 13:09 6th May 2008
I still don't know which version to get, but I read a lot lately about the game freezing on the PS3. Perhaps I should just get it for the 360.

Btw, can someone tell me something about the multiplayer mode? How is it, how does it work, how many different modes does it have?
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 14:11 6th May 2008
Ok, Oz just went out, and also went to the store. He bought the 360 version now for me, was only 55€, at least cheaper than Amazon.
[Reply]
J T 16:41 6th May 2008
TBH I think that whichever version you have, you won't be disappointed. By all reliable accounts the differences are very minimal.

I haven't tried multiplayer much, so I can't really comment. It did seem like fun even if I jumped straight into a game that wasn't properly explained - so i didn't really know what was going on apart from running people over, and being hit myself. I'm really concentrating on the story-mode for now.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 15:58 7th May 2008
In some way I'm a bit disappointed, but this happens perhaps because I didn't play that long, only did 4 missions, but almost smashed a controller because at a certain point, it really pi$$ed me off.

First of all, the minimap deserves its name, I've never seen such a "mini" map. The 4th mission, "Bleed Out" (or something like that), when you have to pursuit Dardan in your car, it's almost impossible to spot him on the radar, which drove me nuts after the 5th time I tried to get him. It's almost impossible to keep track of him, when you already lose him on the map. I constantly had to bring up the menu, go to the map, zoom in, then look where he is, and correct my route.

And how the hell do you drive your car through streets full of traffic, when you have to look on the map simultaneously?? I look at the map for 2 seconds, look back on the street, and *BAM*, hit the front of a truck, again. This happens all the time, but that was already with older GTA releases. How am I supposed to pursuit or hang off someone, when I crash all the time, due to this problem?

Then the camera, very annoying. You enter a car, which is not headed in the right direction. When you accelerate, you have to manually turn the camera with the right analog stick to center your car, or is there a button for that? That also caused a lot of crashes, the camera should center itself immediately after pushing down the gas pedal.

And the cell phone, why does it not pop up like a PDA and pause the game when a message comes in, or when you want to look at it? Why isn't it displayed bigger on the screen? Instead you have to do this manually, and seriously, I have a very good sight, a big TV, but if I had to read the messages on the phone, I have to go closer to the TV. And I already have set the phone to the big font. Otherwise the phone is a nice feature and well done.

The rest is great, but nothing more than a next GTA, why does it get such high scores in reviews, I don't understand. I'm still playing Mass Effect and will also continue playing it whilst GTA will be on the "perhaps next to play" list. The fact is that I didn't play it for longer than 2 hours, and this is my first opinion. I also have to get familiar with the controls first.
[Reply]
v85rawdeal 19:51 8th May 2008
Soundtrack available here
[Reply]
Submeg 22:49 8th May 2008
Originally Posted by Demon Cleaner:
In some way I'm a bit disappointed, but this happens perhaps because I didn't play that long, only did 4 missions, but almost smashed a controller because at a certain point, it really pi$$ed me off.

First of all, the minimap deserves its name, I've never seen such a "mini" map. The 4th mission, "Bleed Out" (or something like that), when you have to pursuit Dardan in your car, it's almost impossible to spot him on the radar, which drove me nuts after the 5th time I tried to get him. It's almost impossible to keep track of him, when you already lose him on the map. I constantly had to bring up the menu, go to the map, zoom in, then look where he is, and correct my route.

And how the hell do you drive your car through streets full of traffic, when you have to look on the map simultaneously?? I look at the map for 2 seconds, look back on the street, and *BAM*, hit the front of a truck, again. This happens all the time, but that was already with older GTA releases. How am I supposed to pursuit or hang off someone, when I crash all the time, due to this problem?

Then the camera, very annoying. You enter a car, which is not headed in the right direction. When you accelerate, you have to manually turn the camera with the right analog stick to center your car, or is there a button for that? That also caused a lot of crashes, the camera should center itself immediately after pushing down the gas pedal.

And the cell phone, why does it not pop up like a PDA and pause the game when a message comes in, or when you want to look at it? Why isn't it displayed bigger on the screen? Instead you have to do this manually, and seriously, I have a very good sight, a big TV, but if I had to read the messages on the phone, I have to go closer to the TV. And I already have set the phone to the big font. Otherwise the phone is a nice feature and well done.

The rest is great, but nothing more than a next GTA, why does it get such high scores in reviews, I don't understand. I'm still playing Mass Effect and will also continue playing it whilst GTA will be on the "perhaps next to play" list. The fact is that I didn't play it for longer than 2 hours, and this is my first opinion. I also have to get familiar with the controls first.
All I have to say is yes, the camera angle is bull when you drive, but the rest, it's just simulating life...especially the phone...if you're driving a car, and whip out ur phone, do you expect traffic to stop? and tailing someone....you can only see what's in front of you, so if you had no map, could you do it? I think that was their point.

It's good fun, you just have to let it get to you, that's all.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3 4 5 6
Up