Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3 4 5
Thread: Got a A600!!
JLPedro 19:14 9th May 2008
Arrived yesterday new roms 2.05 v37.350 from versalia and i've tested with them and the result is the same, it only apeard when i dismounted the machine to paint the case and then mounted all back together same as it was. The cpu and gfx chip seem a bit hot, same as the paula chip but games run normaly and dont crash the A600, only the sound is jerky like when a speaker is wasted. I leaved it runing for some time and it did'n crash or other, just the sound problem.
Read some place that there some problems related to this regarding a pair of capacitors of 16v near the paula chip but i don't see them, and if it was the case some other parts of the A600 would be afected to, like the floppy drive (by the way with the new roms i used the CF cadapter with a 256mb card as hd fine).
The psu from the a600 as a -12v reading of -9,xxx V is this a problem? the one i have for my A1200 is reading -12v ok. Used the psu from the A1200 with the A600 and same problem with the sound.
[Reply]
Zetr0 01:32 10th May 2008
sounds like an interesting pickle you have here...

I like interesting pickles...

okies... now contray to popular belief it was only KS 1.3 and before that used colour codes, the moment you get to KS2.x+ there are no explcit codes.

this being said... i have an a600 here, (been testing lots of things and obviously enjoying much hackery) now I ONLY get a yellow screen when there is a CHIP RAM failure. i get a GREEN or BLUE screen with a ROM failure. and if the is major grounding going on its a white/dark grey fail..

RED is clearly a problem btw LOL

I will have a look for that paula fix for you and put up a pic with the items to replace...
[Reply]
JLPedro 10:23 10th May 2008
I already have a set of new roms (37.350) and a new board rev 2D on its way to me , but i would like to recover this one to other projects like a custom a600 case .
I noted another simptom, on Cabal theres a ocean intro with ocean logo scroolling, sometimes it apears and sometimes just sound, this never apened before, i may have damaged the board with static discharge while dismounting or mountig the machine.

Other thing : does the low reading on the -12v (i get -9,xxx) on the psu, may have caused this type of damage? Cause i don't know the use of the -12v on the amiga.
[Reply]
Harrison 11:13 10th May 2008
I can't imagine that too little power would damage anything, it would more likely just crash the Amiga. Too much power though is another matter.
[Reply]
Buleste 13:59 10th May 2008
If it's not a ROM problem then i don't know. However i've found this site and it looks like the expert Greg Donner knows what he's talking about so he may be able ot help you.
[Reply]
Zetr0 14:25 10th May 2008
Originally Posted by Buleste:
If it's not a ROM problem then i don't know. However i've found this site and it looks like the expert Greg Donner knows what he's talking about so he may be able ot help you.
for an expert he seems a little weary from what i have read...

but fear not... i have signed up.... my request to join the experts is pending

we shall see ......
[Reply]
JLPedro 19:04 25th May 2008

Are the capacitors marked with red circles the ones that belong to the audio circuit on the A600?

Other question, having tried the board with audio rca out and tv tuner, and the audio is cracked both conections, does this means the Paula chip is faulty or can i hope to repair it just replacing the capacitors? Cause i dont see any leaking on any capacitor on the board. Tried the board with a 170w psu with -12v, +5v and +12v good readings and the result is the same... bad sound output.

By the way, the amiga 600 is working fine now with the new board rev 2d and new roms 37.350, 2mb chip ram, 2 mb pcmcia sdram and 256mb cf card. Some Pics:

http://vlrqyg.blu.livefilestore.com/...%20Painted.JPG

http://vlrqyg.blu.livefilestore.com/...A600%2BPSU.JPG

Just want to repair this rev 1.5 board cause it as the 1.3 + 2.05 roms hack shitch.
[Reply]
Zetr0 00:59 26th May 2008
@JLPedro

I would say that those are the caps indeed, but to be 100% positive i would double check the schematics

replacing them should clear up the sound, however if it doesnt then there may well be a more serious fault.

Some nice pics, my Hardware Pr0n folder thanks you, from the deepest part of its directory
[Reply]
JLPedro 16:46 10th June 2008
Yey another question, got an A1200/A600 psu that as from my 1rst A1200, decided to test-it, removed it from the case, and its the ones with that brown solid plastic covering the entire case and pcb... so this is what i got from the readings of the multimeter:

Black GRD
White -12v 100mA -> Reads -15,04v / 1,04A
Brown +12v 500mA -> Reads +11,67v / 0,28A
Red +5v 3A -> Reads +5,14v / 4,91A

Is this psu in good condition? -12v reading seems a little high, and on +12v only got 0,28A instead of 0,5A.

Readings from the psu that came with the A600 that was given to me:

+12v -> +11,36v / 0,8A
-12v -> - 8,98v / 1,7A
+05v -> +5,12v / 2,25A

Is this one better? all seems fine except from the -12v that is only reading -8,98v.
[Reply]
JLPedro 23:16 18th June 2008
Anyone ?? So does it or doesn't damage the amiga the -12v low reading? The -12v is related to the audio circuit and i got the A600 with the audio damaged, this psu came from that system, coincidence??
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3 4 5
Up