Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3 4 5
Thread: Running out of HD space....
Submeg 22:47 16th January 2007
"Funny how a HD is never big enough..." - Harrison.

Ah, the longest running topic ever in Classicamiga history. Good to see the old turned new again.

I haven't had this problem so far. Having limited internet access, I dont get to sit there and download much, so I have plently of space!

That reminds me....

Anyway, enjoy this fresh take on the topic. This is now version 2.0

[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 22:52 16th January 2007
In the past, it was no such big deal having a smaller disk, but nowadays, you can buy several disks over a year, or just replace smaller by bigger ones.
[Reply]
Harrison 23:58 16th January 2007
He he, that original topic must have been the best example of going off topic ever.

And it is still true today. HD space is never big enough. I've all but run out here at the moment and am having to backup everything I download to DVD so I can delete it to make room to download the next file. Mad!

I have however noticed that 500GB HD's have really dropped in price now so I may stick a couple in one of my systems to help out a bit. 1TB should be enough for a few months.

But then I spotted a nice shiny 750GB HD and am now torn. Two of those would give me 1.5GB of space. but at a price. For less I could buy 4 500GB HD's and have 2TB!

Hmm... it might be time to build a cheap PC, stick 4 500GB HD's in it, install FreeNAS on it and connect it up to the network!
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 00:04 17th January 2007
And if you gonna use 4 HDs, you can use them in Raid 5 mode, which is very important if you store a lot of files to it. I've learned that backups are crucial, and I would literally kill myself if I'd lose data acquired over a long period.
[Reply]
Puni/Void 10:50 17th January 2007
Ahh, we all remembe the good old "Running out of HD space" topic.

Demon wrote:

Originally Posted by :
And if you gonna use 4 HDs, you can use them in Raid 5 mode, which is very important if you store a lot of files to it. I've learned that backups are crucial, and I would literally kill myself if I'd lose data acquired over a long period.
Tell me about it. One should be very aware of taking backups. I lost 80GB's of files a few months ago, and did I have backups? Fortunately I had backed up some of the more important files, which I'm happy about that. The problem with the HD is that it will not take up any electricity, so I guess the motor is down.
[Reply]
Submeg 10:59 17th January 2007
Lol hmm, advice that should have been sent to some people, so that this topic didnt have to be restarted....
[Reply]
Harrison 11:56 17th January 2007
very true!
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 15:40 17th January 2007
I was wondering when someone would make this topic again.
[Reply]
Submeg 21:07 17th January 2007
And here it is! The Famous Running Out Of HD Space topic!!!! Wooooooooo!!!
[Reply]
Puni/Void 21:30 17th January 2007
It will take a lot of posting before it will become as big as the original one.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3 4 5
Up