Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Thread: Running out of HD space....
Submeg 10:22 3rd July 2007
Hmm, that's not good to hear....I have all my music on that drive so I don't want it to die!
[Reply]
Puni/Void 11:26 3rd July 2007
Remember to do backups, Submeg. After reading the posts here again, I must also remember to do some backups soon. Don't want to have another incident like last time, which is not long ago, when I lost tons of stuff. I'm not halfway getting all that back again yet, as there were some rare files on there, which are hard to get hold of.
[Reply]
Harrison 12:22 3rd July 2007
I think everyone starts to backup their files only after they have first experiences losing a lot from a hardware failure. I know I did, but for me it was a bad virus infection many years ago that corrupted and wiped out a lot of the contents of the PC's HD and could not be recovered. That wasn't nice.

For most files I do DVD-R backups, but for audio I mirror my collection between two sources, one copy on the external NAS drive which they are played from, and the second on another internal HD in one of my systems. So if one fails I can just copy the other over to the replacement.
[Reply]
AlexJ 12:39 3rd July 2007
Originally Posted by Harrison:
For most files I do DVD-R backups, but for audio I mirror my collection between two sources, one copy on the external NAS drive which they are played from, and the second on another internal HD in one of my systems. So if one fails I can just copy the other over to the replacement.
Same here, I just couldn't have the patience to back up my MP3's onto DVD-R's (think how many it would take), and restoring them would be pretty tedious too. I just keep a copy on two seperate HDD's. Films though I tend to watch once, then put away so DVD is fine for these. I still look forward to the day though when HDD sizes are great enough to allow me to have a film collection like my MP3 collection today, where 1000's of films are available at a click of a button.
[Reply]
Harrison 13:04 3rd July 2007
That will be great to have all films available and ready to access and watch at the click of a button. Although with HD started to become popular it will mean the file size of films is going to grow and so unless you stick to standard definition it might still be some time before that becomes reality.

Of course, you can still fit quite a few DivX encoded films onto a 1TB HD!
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 14:22 3rd July 2007
I'm a bit different, I don't collect mp3 files. I d/l some of the new albums I want to listen to, then if I lik'em, I just buy'em. I have about 1500 original CDs, and a collection of perhaps 25 mp3 files.

The same is with movies, I d/l the movies, watch them, delete them, don't even keep them on DVD. And when there's a movie that I find especially good, I just buy it.

Only thing I collect are the ROMs and other retro stuff, which takes a huge amount of space.
[Reply]
Submeg 00:09 4th July 2007
Hmm, but all I have on there is my cds, so if I lost them I could also just put them on again
[Reply]
Harrison 01:11 4th July 2007
But that is still a time consuming process.
[Reply]
Submeg 01:14 4th July 2007
I guess, but I dont really want to back it all up to DVDs, considering my DVD burner in my laptop is incapable of burning DVDs....I could do it on my other comp thou....
[Reply]
Harrison 16:22 29th August 2007
This topic was in danger of dying as it was quickly dropping down the list! So I thought I would get it going again with a nice little announcement that I've just made some new HD purchases.

The old ATA drive in my main system has been throwing up the odd read error in the last couple of months so I thought it time to replace it.

So I've just ordered 2 500GB Seagata SATA drives that should be arriving tomorrow. And while ordering them I noticed the 500GB external Lacie drives have dropped in price too and were actually only £2 more than the internal drives! So I ordered one of those too.

So once these arrive I will be altering the main system setup so it has a 300GB SATA boot drive (another drive I already have), plus the 2 new 500GB SATA drives for data. And I will be using the external 500GB HD for backup purposes for data I change regularly and don't want to keep wasting new black DVDs for each month to keep creating new backups. This will be for things like my MP3 collection and MAME set.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9
Up