Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3 4 5
Thread: Demomakers
Puni/Void 20:15 2nd March 2008
Quite a few demomakers has been released for the Amiga over the years. One of the most famous of these are the Red Sector Demomaker that was released in 1991.

Even though Sceners in general doesn't approve of using such tools for creating demos, they can be fun to use.

Have any of you made a prod using a demomaker? If yes, which program did you use?

I haven't released anything made using a demomaker before, but it would be fun to do something like that just for fun. Maybe we could have a Classicamiga.com demomaker competition or something? After all, it wouldn't take more than a couple of hours to create something funny using resources from the Internet. What do you guys think?

[Reply]
Harrison 17:56 3rd March 2008
Sounds interesting.

I have an idea. Could you include these demo makers in the CA software directory with downloads for them? I'm thinking they would be better in there under the programming/dev category, rather than directly within the demo productions directory itself.

And using a creator is a great idea for a competition. Anyone interested in taking part could explore the demo creators that are available via the directory and then try to create a demo for a CA competition. We could specify that the demo needs to advertise/promote CA in some way and use the logo. Other than that everyone is free to do whatever they like. Sound good?
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 00:07 4th March 2008
I only did some on the C64, there were a lot of demomakers released on it. We even (a friend and mine) did a megademo using a demomaker, and combining all the different several parts, that one was great. A shame that I don't have it on my disks anymore, would really like to see it again, as there were some nice sprite logos
[Reply]
Puni/Void 09:12 4th March 2008
Harrison wrote:

Originally Posted by :
Sounds interesting.

I have an idea. Could you include these demo makers in the CA software directory with downloads for them? I'm thinking they would be better in there under the programming/dev category, rather than directly within the demo productions directory itself.
Will do. I'll see if I can get them up tonight.

Originally Posted by :
And using a creator is a great idea for a competition. Anyone interested in taking part could explore the demo creators that are available via the directory and then try to create a demo for a CA competition. We could specify that the demo needs to advertise/promote CA in some way and use the logo. Other than that everyone is free to do whatever they like. Sound good?
I think this is a great idea, as it gives people a specific goal for demo creation. Can't wait to get this competition started! The fine thing about this is that everyone can participate, as most demo makers are quite easy to use.

Thinking of resources for the demos, we could also make a list over modules that can be used, as long as we credit the author. I presume that tunes from games will be usable as well. Oh, and graphics from games also.. promoting CA using Guybrush Threepwood or Alfred Chicken would be royal.
[Reply]
Harrison 11:09 4th March 2008
There are two ways we could launch a competition. Provide the raw resources (mods, graphics, sprites etc...) and see what everyone can do with them, or just let everyone have free reign to see what they can come up with. What do you think?
[Reply]
Puni/Void 12:04 4th March 2008
In my opinion it would probably be best if we could freely choose from all sources. Still, we could make a small resource pack for those that would like to use this. This pack could for example contain a small collection of Classicamiga.com logos, some tunes and like you say, images and such. The user will then have three choices - utilize the pack, do everything themselves, or do a combo. Basically, people can then do as they want, and it will be easier for everyone to participate.

What do you think about this?

Hope there will be some entries in this compo. Doesn't matter if one have done such stuff before - the most important thing is to participate and have fun.
[Reply]
Tiago 16:44 5th March 2008
hummn, sounds nice.
i will participate in this one. How many time do we have to do it?

Projects created in demomaker can be executed under workbench or they are save as a nondos disk?
if they are executed under workbench we can interact with other aplications.
[Reply]
Harrison 16:48 5th March 2008
I think that depends on the demomaker being used.

As for how long we have to create a demo, I think it should be a reasonable length of time. At least a month, but more likely much longer. Everyone has other things to do in their lives so a flexible time limit is probably best, just waiting for enough entries to be submitted before we end.
[Reply]
Tiago 16:57 5th March 2008
Ok, count me in.

I think that each one of us must do a very simple demo using demomaker or other, and then we vote for the best one, but don't take to much time and energy on it, first we should have some demos to show how to do it and to grab more CA users into it.

Tomorrow i will try to use RSDMaker.
[Reply]
Puni/Void 13:10 6th March 2008
Harrison wrote:

Originally Posted by :
As for how long we have to create a demo, I think it should be a reasonable length of time. At least a month, but more likely much longer. Everyone has other things to do in their lives so a flexible time limit is probably best, just waiting for enough entries to be submitted before we end.
I agree about the flexible time limit. This will ensure that more people will be able to participate in the competition.

Tiago wrote:

Originally Posted by :
Ok, count me in.

I think that each one of us must do a very simple demo using demomaker or other, and then we vote for the best one, but don't take to much time and energy on it, first we should have some demos to show how to do it and to grab more CA users into it.

Tomorrow i will try to use RSDMaker.
Cool that you would like to participate, Tiago.

As for your suggestion to draw more people in, I can make a small presentation of the competition using a demo maker. This prod could contain the rules of the contest and a few examples of effects. It won't take much time, so I can get it ready before Sunday.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3 4 5
Up