Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3 4
Thread: Guide to NDS Flash carts and Homebrew
Harrison 00:34 19th November 2009
A lot of people seem to be recommended the Acekard DSi card at the moment. I just had a look and those cards are compatible with the DS, DS Lite and DSi, so the one card works for all which is good.

And the prices seem about the same as the R4 and R4i cards.

I've also discovered a great Hong Kong site http://www.dealextreme.com that reminds me so much of Lik-Sang. They are selling DS flash carts, plus lots of other stuff for many different systems. They also have some great looking handheld emulation systems worth looking at, and all at great prices with free shipping.
[Reply]
Buleste 08:48 19th November 2009
All of the R4 cards are clones and the original has stopped being made so it's hardware will no longer be developed (I've just found this out) however it is a nice card. However as you say a lot of guys are recommending the AceKard which from what I've seen is very similar to the R4 that I bought although it has a more windoze like interface.
[Reply]
Buleste 17:25 20th December 2009
The R4i-SDHC has had a major firmware update. Included with the latest firmware is something called Games Engine. This app allows you to connect to the Games Engine Site and look at the latest Roms and Cue them for download onto your SDHC card. You then plug your SDHC card into your PC and run the Games Engine software to download the Roms you want. Hopefully soon they will allow direct to card downloading onto the DS and also allow you to connect to the Games Engine site and download some of the latest movies in .dpg format.
[Reply]
Buleste 11:09 10th February 2010
Last might I had a very strange experience. I had a spectrum emulator and was playing Doom on my DS. I have to say ZXDS is a great emulator that also allows you to access the world of Spectrum server and unzips and loads games from their site. you can also access a Spectrum Demo site (some of the demo's are quite impressive considering the limitations of the speccy).

For a good site that lists almost all the available emulators for the ds go here.
[Reply]
Harrison 12:26 10th February 2010
That does sound good, and a great feature being able to select and play games that auto download and extract on the DS.

But why was it a strange experience?
[Reply]
Buleste 12:40 10th February 2010
Doom on a Spectrum!!!!
[Reply]
Harrison 12:56 10th February 2010
Ah! I see your point. I've never tried it. Will have to take a look. Does it play OK?
[Reply]
Buleste 13:31 10th February 2010
I think it never got above prerelease but if you remember what you're playing it on (or emulating) it's very impressive (especially when you consider what Amiga you need to get Doom running at a good speed (yes I know that the Amiga displays 248 more colours but still)).
[Reply]
Harrison 15:07 10th February 2010

Wow! I just found a video on Youtube of the game

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3v7cFGneuaw

That is quite impressive for a spectrum. I wasn't expecting it to actually work in 3D like the real game. Quite fast refresh rate too.

Reading a review, it isn't actually Doom though, but a tech demo to prove it could be done, with just one level which is extremely hard. But still, it is impressive.
[Reply]
Harrison 15:11 10th February 2010
Have you also seen the port of Wolfenstein?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vzm9KkJ5lGI

There is some impressive stuff done on this little system.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3 4
Up