Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3
Thread: Earthquake!!!
Harrison 14:39 27th February 2008
Probably the beginning of the end!
[Reply]
Zetr0 14:55 27th February 2008
secret underground nuclear experiments

either that, or its the mole men attacking again in the hidden war of the underworld....

OR

that curry i had the other night was a little more explosive than normal....
[Reply]
Buleste 15:11 27th February 2008
It's due to all the oil and gas thats been pumped out of the North sea and slowly all those holes are subsiding thus creating earth quakes. Either that or some fat bastard in Grimsby fell over.
[Reply]
Harrison 15:22 27th February 2008
I've long wondered about all the oil and gas we are pumping out of the ground. Surely it has to have some effect on the earth once it is all removed. I know they do replace the empty space with something else, but it's surely not the same.

For example, with the North Sea oil they pump sea water into the deposit space to fill it back up. This keeps the space filled, but is really done to force the oil to the top so it can be pumped out easier, not to replace and fill the huge gap left over from the removal of the oil.

Do the Earths plates interact with the natural oil deposits in some way? Do they float on them at all? If so then removing it is going to definitely have some adverse effect on the world.

If only we could stop all the fat bastards in the US driving to their mail boxes instead of walking, we wouldn't need all this oil!
[Reply]
TiredOfLife 15:38 27th February 2008
Originally Posted by Harrison:
I've long wondered about all the oil and gas we are pumping out of the ground. Surely it has to have some effect on the earth once it is all removed. I know they do replace the empty space with something else, but it's surely not the same.

For example, with the North Sea oil they pump sea water into the deposit space to fill it back up. This keeps the space filled, but is really done to force the oil to the top so it can be pumped out easier, not to replace and fill the huge gap left over from the removal of the oil.

Do the Earths plates interact with the natural oil deposits in some way? Do they float on them at all? If so then removing it is going to definitely have some adverse effect on the world.

If only we could stop all the fat bastards in the US driving to their mail boxes instead of walking, we wouldn't need all this oil!
POST boxes.
[Reply]
Buleste 16:04 27th February 2008
Originally Posted by TiredOfLife:
Originally Posted by Harrison:

POST boxes.
You tell him.

By the way my theory about the drilling of oil and gas etc was complete bollocks. I was making it all up. Sounded good though didn't it.
[Reply]
Harrison 17:19 27th February 2008
I was referring to the US so I am justified in using the term Mail Box!

As for the pumping of oil. Regardless of that, surely removing so much from under the ground has to cause some adverse effect?
[Reply]
Buleste 17:25 27th February 2008
Probably not as theres a lot of caves in the world and all thats left are basically empty caves. And don't call me Shirley.
[Reply]
J T 20:47 2nd March 2008
I'd have thought the size of an oil/gas pocket would be negligible compared to the size of tectonic plates and the world as a whole.

I missed the earth quake too.

But my wife felt it, it woke her up in fact (fnarr).
[Reply]
Harrison 18:09 3rd March 2008
"Did the earth move you you too darling?"
"No! What the bloody hell were you up to while I was sleeping?!"
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3
Up