Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2
Thread: And so it begins (again)
v85rawdeal 15:37 14th January 2008
Here we go again, us gamers getting a bad rap:-

Originally Posted by :
Prime Minister Gordon Brown has launched a crackdown on knife crime, blaming video games for the current problems suffered by inner city Britain.

Speaking to The Sun, Brown said: "I am very worried about video and computer games. No one wants censorship or an interfering State. But the industry has some responsibility to society and needs to exercise that.”

Brown's statement comes after he expressed concern about the games industry in the past, linking it to violent crime. "Parents are concerned, said Brown, about "harmful violence and sexual imagery in games and on the internet," and that "society must look at video games".

But Brown's comments have angered some corners of the games industry. One industry insider told Digital Spy: "Brown makes no link between crime and movies, rap and hip-hop music or television, which are often seen as promoting gang culture. Games always take the blame."

[Reply]
Harrison 15:39 14th January 2008
He also doesn't mention that most knife crime is committed by teenagers in inner city gangs who probably don't even play video games as they are too busy hanging around in bus shelters stabbing people and hitting old people!
[Reply]
Buleste 15:42 14th January 2008
Gordon Browns so right. I remember when Barbarian (by Palace software not Psygnosis) came out. The number of Decapitations by loin cloth wearing teens went up dramatically.
[Reply]
J T 15:44 14th January 2008
Films used to get the blame. Remember all the 'Video-Nasty' hysteria over those Chucky/Child's Play movies? Absolute knee jerk reaction and in no way covers the real problems of poverty, crumbling society and behavioural standards blah blah blah.

Is GTA IV looking any good? I've avoided all trailers and hype on it, but saw a poster for pre-ordering on the way to work. I got quite bored with the Vice City and never even tried San Andreas.
[Reply]
TiredOfLife 02:53 15th January 2008
I have tried to knife people many times after playing computer games, but have failed due to crippling RSI.

See, games are a force for good.
[Reply]
toomanymikes 12:22 15th January 2008
BAN BURNOUT!
Only yesterday did i drive ridiculously fast through my city on the wrong side of the road and smashed head first into oncoming traffic just to see what it would look like.
My lawyer thinks I have grounds for legal action.
[Reply]
J T 17:16 15th January 2008
Originally Posted by toomanymikes:
BAN BURNOUT!
Only yesterday did i drive ridiculously fast through my city on the wrong side of the road and smashed head first into oncoming traffic just to see what it would look like.
My lawyer thinks I have grounds for legal action.
Are you StuKeith in disguise?
[Reply]
Harrison 17:28 15th January 2008
I was thinking exactly the same thing. I think they should ban Stu from playing the game for sure!
[Reply]
Buleste 09:49 16th January 2008
Anyone else remember ther furorey around Cannon Fodder. It was too bloody and violent and promoted war. It was even banned from being sold to minors in Germany. It seems to happen every few years and people forget this is because the defence lawyers of some viscious little git need a way of justifying thier actions so they either blame it on movies or video games. I say ban lawyers.
[Reply]
TiredOfLife 05:40 10th February 2008
It's that wimpy attitude that lost them WWII.

When part III starts, our boys will be well up for it and trigger happy due to training programs like Medal of Honour and Call of Duty.

That's as long as RSI does not prevent them from pulling the trigger.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2
Up