Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2
Thread: Bose speakers
Harrison 12:45 26th February 2008
I was trying to find something to do while waiting for my other half to finish her clothes shopping, and so popped into the Bose shop in Gunwhalf, Portsmouth. And Wow! Their current range of speakers sound amazing!

The cube speakers for home cinema setups are really small and unobtrusive and sound amazing in combination with their base sub unit. I was amazed how rich and good the sound was coming from such small speaker units. I'm seriously going to be looking into replacing my huge floor standing Eltax speakers with these in the future as they are so small they are unobtrusive and can just be placed out of the way on the wall, and not be a large part of the room, as my current ones are.

And the second speakers that impressed me were some computer speakers. The COMPANION 5 Multimedia Speakers. Found here. I played the whole in-store audio demo for these and was really impressed. Their sound is as good as full sized speakers, and they create amazing virtual 5.1 surround sound; the best I've heard from a 2.1 setup to date.

Does anyone here own any of these Bose speakers? Or listened to them in-store too?
[Reply]
AlexJ 15:38 26th February 2008
I've heard (but don't know enough about it myself to confirm) that Bose use fairly cheap components in their speakers for the price you pay.
[Reply]
Harrison 16:20 26th February 2008
I've always found Bose speakers have a good reputation when I've asked many music related people. Not sure about the quality of the components used to build them, but the sound quality is really good which has to be the main thing in my view.
[Reply]
Sharingan 16:23 26th February 2008
Originally Posted by AlexJ:
I've heard (but don't know enough about it myself to confirm) that Bose use fairly cheap components in their speakers for the price you pay.

That appears to be the general concensus among audio enthusiasts. Then again, elitism and snobbery among most 'enthusiast' crowds tend to skew opinion.

The best thing to do when shopping for audio equipment is simply to ask for a demonstration in a closed listening room, to find out what suits you best.
[Reply]
Harrison 16:31 26th February 2008
Which is exactly what I had at the Bose shop I visited last weekend. I think the store is new as I don't remember it from the last time i visited. It has closed glass listening rooms all around the store so you can experience all of their equipment at its best. I was impressed, although I will say that Bose speakers are only for average home use. I would never recommend them for professional purposes to monitor recording levels or edit video. For this you need dedicated monitors from one of the top speaker manufacturers like B&W.
[Reply]
killergorilla 16:41 26th February 2008
I'm not a fan of bose gear. I know a friend with a setup and while they sounded awesome in the showroom, they really struggle to fill a room any bigger.

I'd just recommend getting a nice set of B&W instead. Man they are sexy.
[Reply]
Harrison 16:50 26th February 2008
But bloody expensive!

I am seriously considering a set of the Bose PC speakers as it is only a smallish room they will be used in, and they will reduce the space taken up by my current setup. But I think I will be keeping my current Eltax speaker setup for my full 5.1 home cinema setup for the moment.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 14:57 27th February 2008
I have exactly the same BOSE system as on the picture, but only the single speakers, not the double ones (Acoustimass 6). I have them since almost 5 years now. I can truly say that they produce a great sound and next speakers I'll get will be BOSE again.
[Reply]
J T 20:52 2nd March 2008
That Bose shop has been there a long time, my parents went there ages ago.

I like Bose stuff, the sound is very good for the small neat style. I've got some Eltax floorstanders too and they are so big and ugly we don't want them in the living room. I'd really like to get a Bose system, but they sure are pricey. Also, I'm not sure about going for a full get up with everything (amp and that) or just get the speakers and choose other bits myself.

Anyway, nice stuff.
[Reply]
toomanymikes 21:07 2nd March 2008
Im a bit of a nerd when it comes to sound but Im not that big a fan of Bose. I have a set of B&W speakers and they kick the hell out of any Bose system I have heard. A friend of mine picked up some Kef eggs last week - for such a small sattelite speaker setup they really pack a punch and give my floorstanders a good run for their money.

If I was stuck for space or wanted a really sexy looking sattelite speaker set then I would defo pick up the eggs!

If I was a millionaire I would pick up the B&W nautilus spekers - a mere £7000 each...
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2
Up