Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2
Thread: Recommended apps/utilis for basic A1200 HD ?
Agram 21:22 21st February 2008
As I've not really used my A1200 for years, I'm going to sell it. From memory it has no utilities installed.

Going to try and get some games on there, but what useful apps and utilities are recommended? Using WB 3.0
[Reply]
v85rawdeal 21:28 21st February 2008
Quarterback and Quarterback Tools (or similar) are almost certainly a MUST. But you need to be aware of the size limitations that Tools works with when it comes to hard disk partition size. Can't tell you maximum partition size that Tools works with, but will try and find out.
[Reply]
Buleste 22:07 21st February 2008
MUI3.8, Reorg, Magic WB, Executive, Disksalv, WHDLoad is what i can think of off the top of my head all of which you can get from aminet (or at least the shareware versions are). Is it a basic 1200 or do you have an expansion?
[Reply]
Zetr0 23:01 21st February 2008
to add to buleste's list..

JST installer,

"super foul eggs", UFO: Enemy Unknown.... yes theres are utilites... many a night after a stupid 12 hour shift... with my friend jack daniel in one hand and UFO on the miggy... its the only utility that helps you unwind... i tried re-org.... but its a bit linear....

but seriously

DCopy3
Octamed SS
DPaint IV/V
PPaint
Gold ED
Imagine / POV ray / Lightwave (for a bit of fun )

... more to follow...
[Reply]
Graham Humphrey 23:03 21st February 2008
I think DOpus (or something similar) would be handy too.
[Reply]
Buleste 23:22 21st February 2008
Just realised it's a basic 1200 so No raytracing software at all and if you're going to use DOpus the it has to be 4 as Magellen II is pants on a expanded 1200 let alone an unexpanded one (Sorry to all you Dopus Magellen fans but in my opinion it's the worst money i've ever spent on my Amiga). Zetr0 is right though in that UFO is a must and if you get a chance some of the UFO editors available on aminet turns it from X-Files to Aliens.
[Reply]
Harrison 00:05 22nd February 2008
Personally I recommend just installing the ClassicWB setup onto the A1200, and then add some of the KGWHDLoad packs on there. And then just add a few additional utilities if needed.
[Reply]
Buleste 00:14 22nd February 2008
OOOOOHHHHHH!!! Harrison is plugging the Homicidal Simian. It has to be said KG does do some good stuff. There are a few WB enhancment programmes out ther so it's personal choice.
[Reply]
Zetr0 08:32 22nd February 2008
just a note of caution,

WHDLoad on an un-expanded A1200 is limmited... i found games would crash and wouldn't return to workbench, or wouldn't completely load and your left with a nice black screen.

you can use the pre-load feature and turn it off, but even then there is problems... especially on AGA 2MB games.

I will say that Buleste is 99.5% correct in the rendering / raytracing dept. BuuUUuuutttTT.... if anyone remembers that far back with that build your own Skidmark cars tutorial ? in the miggy mags......

you can do that on an un-expanded 2mb aga amiga .... not much else mind..... i think i remember doing a planet fly-by (184 frames) with a scene of 800KB (including model) it looked pretty cool.... although it took atleast 12 hours to do.... i think i remember doing the same anim on my 060 with 64mb ram, took around 45 minutes LOL... and about 20 minutes through WinUAE on my smarty PC.
[Reply]
Harrison 10:51 22nd February 2008
And such a scene today on the PC would probably take less than a minute. Mad how time flies!
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2
Up