Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2
Thread: Career change - ever thought about it?
Harrison 21:13 15th February 2008
Good luck for Monday, I hope you get it. Even if it is only a short term contract it will be great experience to get your foot in the door of a new career area.

What is the actual job you are going for?

Their website looks nicely made and is easy to use, which is always a good sign.
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 21:13 15th February 2008
Stone Computers are the people who make all the computers which we have in college.
[Reply]
Buleste 21:30 15th February 2008
So far the Job title is PC Builder so i assume it's a ronseal job title. So the next time S C goes to college he could be using a computer built by me (You'll know which ones, they'll have tonnes of sellotape in them).

@ S C
What are they like? It'll be good to know about the computers before i go. Also which college as i may name drop it in the interview that way it looks like i've done a bit of research.
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 21:37 15th February 2008
The college is Rotherham College of Arts and Technology (http://www.rotherham.ac.uk)

The computers are just like, well, computers .
Some of them have odd power buttons - the stone computers logo is actually the power button and has a blue LED in it. They always seem to work just as well as any other computers I have used.

College uses LG monitors with them and has Stone branded Microsoft keyboards and mice. I am assuming they like these computers as it seems impossible to go anywhere in college and not see one, although I think they bought a load of new ones a couple of years ago to replace the old ones. I have seem a few old Stone machines around.

Thats about all I can tell you as I don't really know much about them.
[Reply]
Buleste 22:08 15th February 2008
Any info is good in the war against HR. Like i say if it looks as though i've been doing research into the company it's only going to help in the interview.
[Reply]
Harrison 23:47 15th February 2008
Any teaching institute tends to have an exclusive contract with a computer supplier, which is probably why your college has all the same make Steve. And often this is a county wide contract, so with a large computer supplier they will be providing systems to a lot of locations. Definitely a good business to own if you can maintain the contracts and provide good quality products.
[Reply]
Sharingan 05:48 16th February 2008
Originally Posted by Buleste:
Interview on Monday at 3:30pm at this place. Only a tempory contract but we'll see how it goes.

Congratulations

Hope it goes well for you. Even if it's just a temporary contract, the work experience will still be yours afterwards.
[Reply]
J T 20:58 2nd March 2008
Originally Posted by Harrison:
Any teaching institute tends to have an exclusive contract with a computer supplier, which is probably why your college has all the same make Steve. And often this is a county wide contract, so with a large computer supplier they will be providing systems to a lot of locations. Definitely a good business to own if you can maintain the contracts and provide good quality products.
A friend made a fortune (literally - he used the cash to set up a financial business. He has a Ferrari at the ripe old age of 25) buying computers from a source and selling them on to schools.

I've thought about a career change. I like my job but it is very safe, sometimes I get a bit worried about getting too complacent. Plus it's pretty poorly paid. 'Scientist' does sound cool though, but in a geeky way....
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2
Up