Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
Thread: Record companies are pirates?
Stephen Coates 17:25 6th February 2008
I was thinking about this the other day when I was looking for a few music videos on Y0uTube (yes, I know it's crap, but I thought it would be the easiest place to look).

If it is illegal for us to download music and copy CDs etc, why do record companies put music AND videos on Y0uTube for us all to watch free of charge?
[Reply]
LowercaseE 17:33 6th February 2008
Promotion.
[Reply]
Harrison 17:58 6th February 2008
Exactly. Why does MTV or even radio exist? Same reason!
[Reply]
AlexJ 23:33 6th February 2008
Flawed logic Steve, you see on the CD/Tape/Vinyl sleeve and media it says something like "(C) 2007 RCA Records. All Rights Reserved." That literally means that RCA Records (in this case) have the right to do what they want, including making it available for streaming on a website such as Youtube. That's why RCA can put the music video on, and you or I can't.

Going into more detail, the reason the record companies choose to make their videos available, apparently for free, is because Youtube has secured a blanket licence with many of them. This means that Google have paid the record companies to provide their music (I believe through an advertising revenue sharing scheme).

EDIT: Here's an example of the Sony BMG deal: http://youtube.com/press_room_entry?entry=2cwCau7cKsA
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 04:39 7th February 2008
Btw, a great way to d/l YouTube videos from the net in different formats is www.idesktop.tv
[Reply]
Harrison 08:08 7th February 2008
Nice Site.

To download stuff I tend to just have realplayer installed though as it allows you to download any streaming video.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 08:38 7th February 2008
I d/l some in 3GP2 format to use on my mobile.
[Reply]
TiredOfLife 11:00 7th February 2008
One of the few benefits of my outdated browser (Ibrowse) is the way it's cookies work.
Basically anything shown on screen is saved to the hd which includes any streaming media.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
Up