Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3 4 5
Thread: References within songs?
LowercaseE 18:50 6th February 2008
Back in my teen years I knew the lyrics to just about everything I listened to off by heart. Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax, Iron Maiden, Exodus, Megadeth, Death, Morbid Angel, Suffocation, etc. Nowadays I don't really pay much attention to lyrics because it's too much time and work to learn them. Although I do ocassionally enjoy reading lyrics for a laugh(ie. Anxl Cxnt, Cannibal Corpse, The Mentors, etc.).
[Reply]
Graham Humphrey 19:57 6th February 2008
Originally Posted by LowercaseE:
Back in my teen years I knew the lyrics to just about everything I listened to off by heart.
I'm a bit like that, too.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 05:07 7th February 2008
Back in my teen years I knew the lyrics to just about everything I listened to off by heart. Metallica, Slayer, Anthrax, Iron Maiden, Exodus, Megadeth, Death, Morbid Angel, Suffocation, etc. Nowadays I don't really pay much attention to lyrics because it's too much time and work to learn them. Although I do ocassionally enjoy reading lyrics for a laugh(ie. Anxl Cxnt, Cannibal Corpse, The Mentors, etc.).
Exactly, but that was also because the market wasn't as big as it is now. When I was young I had a lot less LPs than I have CDs now, nowadays there are a lot of bands coming out of nowhere, in the mid 80's, the only major bands were those you mentioned plus a few others like Overkill, Possessed, Suicidal Tendencies, Deicide, Sepultura, Kreator, Sodom, Destruction (the 3 main german trash bands) and of course Motörhead.

@LowercaseE: We should organize a karaoke night with metal songs and sing in a duet
[Reply]
Harrison 08:10 7th February 2008
That is true. There definitely used to be a core few groups in each genre that most fans would concentrate on. These days there are a lot of smaller groups flooding the market. Although as I never just listened to one genre I always had quite a range to pick albums from. Especially in the alternative indie area.
[Reply]
LowercaseE 12:05 7th February 2008
Originally Posted by Demon Cleaner:
@LowercaseE: We should organize a karaoke night with metal songs and sing in a duet
I've actually done karaoke a few times to metal songs. I usually have to be extremely drunk though as I generally don't like being "on stage". Once I even did "death metal karaoke" to a Madonna song. Unfortunately, I was so drunk I don't even remember what song.
[Reply]
Buleste 12:11 7th February 2008
Alcahol the cause of, and solution to, many of lifes problems - Homer Simpson
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 22:51 7th February 2008
Originally Posted by Harrison:
Same here. I will only look lyrics up for a song I really like, where I just can't work out certain words or lines.

Years ago a lot of LPs had lyrics included, and many early CDs continued to do the same, but in recent years it seems more and more don't include any. Instead just including a 4 page booklet with a couple of abstract pictures.
...and myspace links and a message thanking you for purchasing the CD and not illegally downloading it.

I like to try and understand lyrics as there are songs which sometimes don't make sense until you read the lyrics alot to try and make sense of it. And sometimes it is impossible to work out what a word is so have to look it up.

I don't look up the lyrics of everything though. Just songs where I find them interesting, or when I want to attempt singing it myself..
[Reply]
Harrison 22:54 7th February 2008
Originally Posted by Stephen Coates:
...or when I want to attempt singing it myself..

[Reply]
Stephen Coates 18:32 8th February 2008
Are you trying to imply that I can't sing harrison?
[Reply]
TiredOfLife 05:19 10th February 2008
@Harrison

Yes mate, that's out of order.
I'm sure Steve will glady sing and record something then post it here to prove he can.

Might I suggest Puff the Magic Dragon or it's Raining Men?
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3 4 5
Up