Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
2 3 4 5 6
Thread: Mediator 1200 and a new monitor!
Buleste 15:23 15th February 2008
Did you learn the lesson???
[Reply]
Harrison 15:31 15th February 2008
Umm... well not really as I knew I shouldn't be touching the internals of electrical things anyway, so should have known better.

But even after that I still managed to electrocute myself again about a year later when trying to get my old Atari STFM to work. It had developed a common ST fault where the power would only come on if you tapped the rear right of the case above the PSU a few times. I found out this was because the PSU PCB had become bowed and caused some dry joints to occur. So I ran the ST with the top of the case off, and the shielding around the PSU open and did some experimenting to see if I could somehow clamp the PCB down to keep it flat and stop it from failing to work. But instead of that I somehow shorted out the PSU, which caused me to to get a shock and loads of the capacitors to explode and shoot around the room! Great way to kill an ST though!
[Reply]
Buleste 15:41 15th February 2008
LMAO That brings a wonderful picture of you ducking as ricocheting capacitors try to hit you whilst sitting in a cloud of smoke, hair standing on end. Still if i get this job as a PC builder i'll have a few of those stories myself. Anyone know how to break into a 1438s? One of the speakers has died so i fancied trying to fix it.
[Reply]
TiredOfLife 16:04 16th February 2008
Originally Posted by Harrison:
Umm... well not really as I knew I shouldn't be touching the internals of electrical things anyway, so should have known better.

But even after that I still managed to electrocute myself again about a year later when trying to get my old Atari STFM to work. It had developed a common ST fault where the power would only come on if you tapped the rear right of the case above the PSU a few times. I found out this was because the PSU PCB had become bowed and caused some dry joints to occur. So I ran the ST with the top of the case off, and the shielding around the PSU open and did some experimenting to see if I could somehow clamp the PCB down to keep it flat and stop it from failing to work. But instead of that I somehow shorted out the PSU, which caused me to to get a shock and loads of the capacitors to explode and shoot around the room! Great way to kill an ST though!
Well I'm not the one who going to say you get what you deserve when using an atari but...
[Reply]
Harrison 17:00 18th February 2008
Originally Posted by Buleste:
Anyone know how to break into a 1438s?
I was going to suggest you ask JT, but then I realised he would recommend dropping it from a bridge!
[Reply]
Buleste 17:27 18th February 2008
That would get you into it. Unfortunatly i want it to work afterward and a shattered screen is beyond the help of solder and sellotape.
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 17:36 18th February 2008
Originally Posted by Harrison:
Originally Posted by Buleste:
Anyone know how to break into a 1438s?
I was going to suggest you ask JT, but then I realised he would recommend dropping it from a bridge!
I'd better keep my 1438 away from JT then.

He should keep his TV throwing skills for old TVs and PC stuff.
[Reply]
J T 09:05 19th February 2008
If I ever win the lottery, I'm going to do that with a massive plasma screen.
[Reply]
TiredOfLife 11:45 19th February 2008
Originally Posted by J T:
If I ever win the lottery, I'm going to do that with a massive plasma screen.
Make sure you film it.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
2 3 4 5 6
Up