Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3 4 5 6
Thread: Mediator 1200 and a new monitor!
TiredOfLife 06:02 10th February 2008
http://search.ebay.co.uk:80/AT-PSU_W...QlredZATQ20PSU

£29 for a brand new 145w AT PSU.
Seems a bit pricey.

£0.99 and £8.99 both 200 watt with seven days to go on the bidding.
[Reply]
J T 16:34 13th February 2008
Originally Posted by Harrison:
Just be prepared to start experiencing some hair loss! Those big CRTs pump out a lot of radiation and as with all monitors you will be sat fairly close to it, which isn't good. I've not read or heard of any clinical studies into it, but I remember when I used to work in front of two huge CRTs I could feel the hair at the front of my head tingling.
You sure it wasn't just the static from the screen pulling your hair slightly?

Originally Posted by Stephen Coates:
I remember you saying that a while ago. Never felt any tingling while working in front of monitors. I did get an odd headache when I operated my 14" television without it's cover on though.
Christ, be careful doing that. CRT gubbins holds massive charges in the capacitors and all that stuff in there. It's quite dangerous....
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 09:49 14th February 2008
Originally Posted by J T:
I remember you saying that a while ago. Never felt any tingling while working in front of monitors. I did get an odd headache when I operated my 14" television without it's cover on though.
Christ, be careful doing that. CRT gubbins holds massive charges in the capacitors and all that stuff in there. It's quite dangerous....
OMG!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
MASSIVE CHARGES!!!!!!!
I NEVER REALISED!!!!!
[Reply]
J T 10:19 14th February 2008
Well, you don't have a great track record what with breaking and badly repairing things, so be careful is all I'm saying, don't go hurting yourself and breaking your stuff.
[Reply]
Harrison 10:30 14th February 2008
Sellotape might be a good temporary fix for some computer hardware, but I doubt it would be quite as affective on a fried Steve!
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 09:47 15th February 2008
Originally Posted by Harrison:
Sellotape might be a good temporary fix for some computer hardware, but I doubt it would be quite as affective on a fried Steve!
I suppose it could be used to attach the lid to my coffin
[Reply]
AlexJ 10:16 15th February 2008
Opening and messing inside a CRT screen up is one thing I would never do - heard too many stories of TV technicians (who should know what they're doing) getting killed.
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 10:23 15th February 2008
Well, if the monitor/TV is not going to be opened, there is no possibility of any problems being fixed. e.g., if I hadn't have opened it, I wouldn't have been able to put a new switch in my 8833 (230V!!!!!!).

It's fine as long as you know which bits to not touch.
[Reply]
Buleste 10:34 15th February 2008
It's fine as long as you know which bits to not touch.
And if you don't know what bits to touch you'll soon find out when you touch them.
[Reply]
Harrison 15:16 15th February 2008
As mentioned a few times in the past, I once had an old PC that I used with a monitor that had no case! I used to be able to feel the magnetic field coming from it while in use. I also touched something I shouldn't one day and I was quite lucky because it just made my finger numb for a few minutes!
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3 4 5 6
Up