Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3
Thread: Video to VGA
Harrison 22:46 28th January 2008
The internal Amiga specific scan doublers/flicker fixers just seem to offer a more specific and neater solution as far as I can see. Although do Amiga ones output at 31KHz or 60KHz?

Is there any actual advantage to an internal flicker fixer, such as the one Sarek has, Compared to these units? Can it do anything these can't?
[Reply]
Zetr0 11:08 29th January 2008
if anything the internal one would look (subjectively) nicer inside the case, but arguably there is heat to consider, these units whop out a fair wattage of heat, and with them being clip on, its a little concerning...

I have two Scandy internal SD/FF units, and i tihnk i may just sell it on Amibay for £45 ish +P'n'P, still undecided....

insofar as features go, the internal one only scandouble non-31kHz images, so super 72 and a coupe of other productivity based screens would be just passed though, those 15kHz interlaced screens are de-laced and then sent at 31kHz.

Also a concerning feature of these internal scan doublers is this rather strange instance where it wont work on one A1200 but it will another, (i tihnk this has something to do with the motherboard revisions) thre was some dicussion on the EAB about this, but we shall see... I can honestly say though that i have tried my internal SD/FF and on 2 of my a1200's it does not work... strange eh? (tested without adapters just basic 1200)

These external devices can also upscale from other sources and some have a TV RF 100 channel tuner with Picture in Picture function as well as combined stereo! for £35 you cannot go wrong, these internal ones, on the oter hand, i have seen sell for some stoopid money...
[Reply]
JLPedro 10:20 31st January 2008
About that vga cable: looks like it's included vga -> 15 pin Din

[Reply]
Zetr0 10:57 31st January 2008
I think that unit should make you quite pleased indeed

please let me know how it gets on and of course post picies... I likie hardware pron
[Reply]
Harrison 11:17 31st January 2008
I will also be interested to see how you get on with that unit. I think we should include these alternative units in the site's hardware section once it's up and running. Definitely of interest to a lot of Amiga users as most now only have access to LCD monitors and TVs.
[Reply]
JLPedro 21:58 6th March 2008
Recieved the unit today (finaly! ), were's wath came in the box:

Did some testing and for starting the vga in does'n scandoubles the 15khz frequency so the vga in opcion is only usable on Workbench with modes of 31khz (multisync). As far as the other options (composite and svideo) scrolling in games and colors are very good both TFT or CRT.

Image quality is very diferent on tft and crt, crt is mutch better, better colors scrooling and less blur, using vga-in with multisync modes 640x480 non laced image is almost clean of interference with is very good:

So, some of my questions were clarified, an internal scandoubler/flikerfixer is better solution than this type of vgabox, but for the price is a very good deal and with a crt monitor image is very good (specialy with svideo in games and vga in workbench, you can switch in a click the two conections).

I will do some more testing and gamming.
Attached: On Box.JPG (461.8 KB) Agony ingame (Composite).JPG (393.1 KB) WB Multisync (Vga).JPG (374.1 KB)
[Reply]
J T 14:20 7th March 2008
Originally Posted by JLPedro:
Recieved the unit today (finaly! ), were's wath came in the box:

Sorry to derail slightly (but that's what I do) - that candle on a plate thingy in the top left corner looked, at first glance, like an awesome tricorner/pirate style hat. Maybe because the picture is a bit dark and I was only looking quickly.
[Reply]
JLPedro 19:38 7th March 2008
and the vga adaptor didnt came on the box... i didnt have muth time to details...
[Reply]
Zetr0 22:35 7th March 2008
@JLPedro

Hello there, I am glad that you are happy with the results, I have a slightly different model and I am very impressed with it.

Have you tried the RGB to VGA and then VGA to the device, i am curious if it up-scans the VGA signal.
[Reply]
JLPedro 21:05 8th March 2008
I tried the RGB to VGA and then VGA to the device, but as i was afraid the vgabox doens't scandoubles de 15khz signal (it only does dypass of the signal and doesn't do any convertion) convertion only ocures on Svideo and Composite. As a result: using vga adaptor the signal remais 15khz and no flikerfixed.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3
Up