Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3 4
Thread: Your favourite Public Domain games?
Harrison 23:47 21st January 2008
I want to start adding some of the best Public Domain games to the site's database. Therefore can I ask for everyone to list their favourite Amiga PD games here so we can get a list of the best ones going and this can be used to add them to the site.

We will also need screenshots for each of these games. Between 10-20 screenshots per game is a great number to show visitors all aspects of a game. If you can make some screenshots of your favourite PD games that would be brilliant and speed up the whole process.

And if you have direct links to the game's ADF files that would be great too as we would like to include these for download on the site too.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 20:47 23rd January 2008
I never had any PD games, therefore I cannot name any. But I would really like to test some, looking forward to see what you post.
[Reply]
Buleste 09:40 24th January 2008
I always enjoyed scorched tanks.
[Reply]
Graham Humphrey 09:53 24th January 2008
Here's a few (I'll try and find some links later):

Scorched Tanks
Gravity Power
Tetris Pro
Megaball
Diamond Caves
Jet Set Willy '97
FaYoh 2
Drip
Jump 'n' Roll
Tanks 'n' Stuff
R3
Atom Smasher
Super Obliteration
Strikes 'n' Spares
Aerial Racers
Breed 96
[Reply]
Harrison 11:57 24th January 2008
We already have Deluxe Galaga and Pacman on the site including downloads. But some links to the others you listed would be great. Some great games there that I've not played in years.
[Reply]
Graham Humphrey 20:09 24th January 2008
Got a few links in there now... they are all .lha files though as they are from Aminet. Not all of them will fit on floppy so you couldn't host them on the site as ADFs.

Also several of these games were on magazine coverdisks as well, so might have to track them down.

Just had a thought actually... some of these lha files will fit on floppy so I guess some of us could create ADFs ourselves? But I was thinking if we go down that route then maybe it could be a good idea if the site had its own PD compilation disks like the old Assassins ones? But without all the dodgy SEUCK games

I'd happily put a few together, maybe with some of the ones I listed and maybe if anyone has any requests then they could be included too (although this obviously only applies to those games that comfortably fit on a floppy disk)

They could have a proper menu system and things too, so it would be easy just to boot it in WinUAE and away you go. It could also be good for beginners who don't want to fiddle about with HDFs and lha and the like, or those people like Demon Cleaner who have never played PD games before and need a good introduction to them

Also you wouldn't need to host as many files as a few of these could fit on an ADF. What do y'all think of this idea, could it work?
[Reply]
Sharingan 20:29 24th January 2008
I really liked Frantic Freddy and Klondike Deluxe, the first being a platformer (sort of) and the second a card game with customisable card decks. There were some rather spiffy digitised decks available.

Another favourite was Gravity Power / Gravity Force, but I think I've mentioned that enough elsewhere.
[Reply]
sarek2k 20:30 24th January 2008
i've just setup my real amiga again gonna dig thru a few disks from dazzaboy (osuk) i'll add some from them here but a few i remeber off the top of my head (maybe not all PD will have to check!)

Amoeba Invaders
Tanx
Bi Planes
Kastle Kumquat
Wet Beaver (great bat n ball game)
Dirty Cash (already posted for download)
Operation Lemmings (as above)
Take Em Out
Starwoids (Brilliant thrust type game inspired by star wars)
Star Trek PD game (Tobias Richter as disgussed elsewhere)

Will add others when i remeber them
[Reply]
AlexJ 23:21 24th January 2008
Originally Posted by Graham Humphrey:
Just had a thought actually... some of these lha files will fit on floppy so I guess some of us could create ADFs ourselves? But I was thinking if we go down that route then maybe it could be a good idea if the site had its own PD compilation disks like the old Assassins ones? But without all the dodgy SEUCK games

I'd happily put a few together, maybe with some of the ones I listed and maybe if anyone has any requests then they could be included too (although this obviously only applies to those games that comfortably fit on a floppy disk)

They could have a proper menu system and things too, so it would be easy just to boot it in WinUAE and away you go. It could also be good for beginners who don't want to fiddle about with HDFs and lha and the like, or those people like Demon Cleaner who have never played PD games before and need a good introduction to them

Also you wouldn't need to host as many files as a few of these could fit on an ADF. What do y'all think of this idea, could it work?
I think self-booting ADF's are definitely a good thing to have where possible. Whether to have 1 game per ADF which just boots straight into it or multiple games with a menu system I'm not sure.
[Reply]
Harrison 00:20 25th January 2008
@Graham Humphrey

That sounds like a great idea. If you can create some self booting ADFs for some of these games that would be great.

When the game's are bigger than an ADF I've so far created self booting HDFs. Deluxe Galaga, already on the site, is in HDF format.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3 4
Up