Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3
Thread: Buying from Apple
AlexJ 21:01 16th January 2007
Originally Posted by Stephen Coates:
Originally Posted by J T:
You're going to run XP on that? As a project I take it, not as a machine for day to day usage?
Guess. Is it likely I'd want to run XP on anything for more than a project?
Well millions of people run XP as their main system.
[Reply]
Harrison 22:46 16th January 2007
Indeed they do. But running XP on a Pentium 2 is painful enough. I would hate to try and run it on a P1! But, as you are no doubt going to try Steve it would be great to find out if, firstly you can actually get it to run, and secondly how damn long it takes to boot! BTW, hope it has some extra ram as there is no way XP will even bother working properly with less than 128MB.

BTW, that laptop would be great to run a version of Linux on after you have finished testing it with XP.
[Reply]
TiredOfLife 20:16 18th January 2007
A laptop running linux, now that idea I like.
Hmm might see if I can pick up a cheap laptop and try that myself.
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 20:21 18th January 2007
My main intention is to run Amithlon.

Although I'll probably stick windows 95/98/NT on there as well.
[Reply]
Harrison 23:39 18th January 2007
Amithlon should run OK.

But don't stick a Windows OS on there. Linux would let you get a lot more out of the hardware. Linux is especially great for older slow laptops. I'm got Fedora 4 on a K3 400MHz laptop with 128MB of ram and it runs well. Much better than even Windows 98 used to.
[Reply]
Submeg 06:43 21st January 2007
The first thing I thought when I saw this thread:

"Buying from Apple"......not a good idea.

[Reply]
AlexJ 08:50 21st January 2007
Originally Posted by Harrison:
But running XP on a Pentium 2 is painful enough. I would hate to try and run it on a P1! But, as you are no doubt going to try Steve it would be great to find out if, firstly you can actually get it to run, and secondly how damn long it takes to boot! BTW, hope it has some extra ram as there is no way XP will even bother working properly with less than 128MB.
Some guys managed to get XP to work on an 8MHz processor with 20MB of RAM. Boottime (from BIOS screen to useable Desktop) was about 30minutes. Their efforts can be found at: http://winhistory.de/more/386/xpmini_eng.htm
[Reply]
J T 18:46 21st January 2007
I think you might have posted that before, Alex, and it's a quality page. I love the way that the really old machine gets it running, but barely in colour
[Reply]
Harrison 03:41 22nd January 2007
I remember that site from the old forum. It is mad what some people will try on completely unsuitable hardware. Is cool they got it to run, but completely useless at the same time, something I highly suspect Steve will also discover when trying to run XP on a P1.
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 14:56 22nd January 2007
P1? Don't you mean pentium? (ed: P1 is short for pentium 1)

Anyway, as XP is useless on just about anything, I expect it will be very useless on a Pentium MMX.

I'm pretty sure it will work though. (n.b. there is a difference between 'works' and 'usable')
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3
Up