Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2
Thread: amiga to mac
chiel 15:55 12th January 2008
hello, is there anyone out there who can tell me how I can migrate animations, I made years ago on my Amiga 2000 to my Mac?
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 16:13 12th January 2008
The easiest method would probably be to make a PC formatted floppy disk on your Macintosh, then (with CrossDOS installed on the 2000), copy the files to that disk, then copy them to the Mac from the disk.

Another method is (assuming the animations are stored on a hard drive) to take the HD out of the A2000 and connect it to the Macintosh, and accessing it using MacUAE, Or whatever the OSX version of UAE is depending on what version of MacOS you have. That would of course depend on when MacUAE can read a real Amiga disk. I know WinUAE for Windows can. Not sure about MacUAE as I never really used it much.

I am assuming that that is what you mean by 'migrate'. If you want to run the animations on the macintosh, then you will have to have some kind of programme that can read the files. As I don't know what format they are in I can't really recomend anything, except to install MacUAE and use the Amiga software in that.

Hope that helps a bit. Welcome to the forum

Steve
[Reply]
Buleste 16:39 12th January 2008
Alternativly try CrossMac if you can find a copy.
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 16:43 12th January 2008
Am I right in thinking that CrossMac is the same as CrosDOS but for reading Macintosh disks instead of DOS ones?
[Reply]
Graham Humphrey 16:51 12th January 2008
I'm pretty sure that's it, yes.
[Reply]
Quagmire 17:55 12th January 2008
you could always set up internet on the A2000 and email them to yourself.
[Reply]
chiel 22:14 13th January 2008
Thanks for the suggestions. By 'migrating' I mean that I would like to get the animations into my MiniMac.
I don't see how I can connect the amiga-HD to the minimac

Originally Posted by Stephen Coates:
The easiest method would probably be to make a PC formatted floppy disk on your Macintosh, then (with CrossDOS installed on the 2000), copy the files to that disk, then copy them to the Mac from the disk.

Another method is (assuming the animations are stored on a hard drive) to take the HD out of the A2000 and connect it to the Macintosh, and accessing it using MacUAE, Or whatever the OSX version of UAE is depending on what version of MacOS you have. That would of course depend on when MacUAE can read a real Amiga disk. I know WinUAE for Windows can. Not sure about MacUAE as I never really used it much.

I am assuming that that is what you mean by 'migrate'. If you want to run the animations on the macintosh, then you will have to have some kind of programme that can read the files. As I don't know what format they are in I can't really recomend anything, except to install MacUAE and use the Amiga software in that.

Hope that helps a bit. Welcome to the forum

Steve

[Reply]
Stephen Coates 10:55 14th January 2008
Connecting the Amigas HD would require the Macintosh to have SCSI, which unfortunately, the Mac Mini doesn't, so this will not be possible.

Also unfortunately, the Mac Mini lacks a floppy drive, which means that the option of using CrossMac or CrossDOS is also not possible, unless you had a USB floppy drive which you could use.

The only other option i can think of would be get get ethernet on the A2000 (which could be difficult), or to get a PC and use that with a null modem cable. Do you have any PCs which you could use to transfer the files from the A2000 to, then you could transfer them from the PC to the Mac?
[Reply]
Harrison 15:55 14th January 2008
Do you have the animations on Amiga floppy disks? and what format are the animations in?

As an offer, If you live in the UK you can send me the floppy disks with the animations on, and I can take the files off of the floppy disks and burn them to CD for you. Possibly converting the format of the animations so they run on the Mac, but that depends on the format they are in.
[Reply]
chiel 19:06 14th January 2008
I have the animations on the HD and they are not that important that I couldn't live without them...
The real reason I started my Amiga again was because my son (11yr.) started drawing "flipbooks" (in my opinion the very basic of animation) and I thought it would be fun for him to try the same technique on a computer with the very friendly program 'Dpaint'.
I also liked 'Fantavision' very much for the quick results one could achieve.

Now I think it over, I probably better start looking for simple animation-software that he can use on the Mac.
Anyone suggestions?

However, I captured one animation some time ago, just by filming it from the screen: http://nl.youtube.com/watch?v=cimLHkHXZYc

and for Stephen: I live in Amsterdam - The Netherlands and we DO have real mail here...

thanks for the offer and support, chiel

now I made a stupid mistake. it was Harrison who, very friendly, offered to burn the files for me onto CD, but I couldn't figure out why that was only in the UK?
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2
Up