Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3 4
Thread: Commodore Book
cicobuff 00:31 11th January 2007
One of my presents my wife got me at Christmas was the Commodore book "On the Edge : The spectacular rise and fall of Commodore"

Only just started reading it but its a great read for us computer geeks lol....anyone else here read it? It definitely is a recommended read for sure.
[Reply]
Harrison 01:58 11th January 2007
I read a review for it just before Christmas but haven't purchased a copy. It's set in my Amazon wishlist so I should get it quite soon.
[Reply]
Teho 16:02 11th January 2007
Yeah, I read it a couple of months ago. I've been meaning to do an article on it, but never got around to it.

It is most definitely a recommended read if you have even a slight interest in Commodore. It details the company's entire history, and doesn't just focus on the C64 and Amiga years. Put it like this, the book is over 600 pages long, and the C64 doesn't enter the picture till after page 200. The Amiga arrives up in the 400s. And those 600 pages are filled with text too, there are hardly any illustrations in the book at all.

It isn't a simple boring list of facts either, but is the story told directly from the mouths of the people who worked there, such as the project leaders and the main engineers. The people who really knew what was going on. Mostly, the book quotes these people directly while telling the story and the author usually only interrupts to provide some more detail on some subjects, or simply comment on what's being said.

I certainly learned a lot I had no idea about from before. Definitely a great read.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 16:11 11th January 2007
I have the book, but in german.
[Reply]
rayzorblue 21:57 16th January 2007
That sounds like something my Dad would love to read, then i could borrow it off him after he has finished . My Dad loved commodore computers i think he started wit a Vic 20 moving up through the years, he also loved the amiga OS and still curses the americans for the downfall of Commodore lol, i think ill have to get him a copy thanks for bringing this to my attention.
[Reply]
StuKeith 19:55 26th January 2007
Maybe we could all write a book?

Teho/DC/JT/PG could do the section on the demo scene, H could do the hardware/professional side of things, I could do the PD, SW scene and mags

we can also do bits of everything!

Ive been meaning to write a book for years, was going to do one on my life! (its intresting you know! )
[Reply]
AlexJ 21:40 26th January 2007
Originally Posted by StuKeith:
Maybe we could all write a book?

Teho/DC/JT/PG could do the section on the demo scene, H could do the hardware/professional side of things, I could do the PD, SW scene and mags

we can also do bits of everything!

Ive been meaning to write a book for years, was going to do one on my life! (its intresting you know! )
Strange - I was planning on writing an Amiga book as well! Kinda like an encylopedia for all (well maybe not quite all) games on Amiga. I even went as far as assessing the financial costs with regard to printers etc. - figured I will probably make a loss but still would quite like to do it. Be quite cool to be able to say I've written a book.
[Reply]
Harrison 00:17 27th January 2007
That is quite a cool idea, to all write a book together. I would definitely be in on doing the design and layout of the pages. It would be a lot of work to produce, and the volume of content would make it pretty big with demo, game and hardware included. Would be really cool though. An encyclopaedia of the Amiga.

The thing is, as we do more and more work on the main site we will slowly be building up all of the information we would need for such a book. So it is one of those projects that would take shape once the areas of the site become complete. Maybe a book to consider at the end of the year?
[Reply]
Puni/Void 10:04 27th January 2007
I'm very interested in the idea of writing a book about the various aspects of the Amiga. I would like to help out every way I can, especially with the parts concerning the Amiga Demo Scene. Would of course like to help out with information about other areas as well. I guess Teho and I could do a translation of all the stuff to Norwegian, so that such a book could be published in Norway along with the UK.

There are of course obstacles; If such a project such be initialized, would we go for a professional publisher to help us or should we do it alone? There are plenty of people that actually publish books themselves. If we have a bit of money, we could manage that I presume. But then we would have to do a bit of marketing of course, but the main site and other Amiga webpages would help us with that.

It is truly a good idea, StuKeith. Cheers! Let's do this guys! (Before some other site gets the same idea )
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 16:27 28th January 2007
I also like the idea, unfortunately I have no idea on how doing this, I mean for publishing, and what it would cost. But the idea is truly great, I will have to refresh my english though.

Translations would be no problem, I can translate into french and german (and luxembourgish ) , but I don't see the point in doing this. Anyway, first there has to be something done, then after there will be fine-tuning.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3 4
Up