Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Thread: "The last movie you've seen" thread
my_lo 11:48 9th July 2008
Originally Posted by Harrison:
The scene near the end in the apartment block with the tanks and armed forces really had energy and drew you into the scene, but for me it wasn't quite enough to redeem the film completely.
That's precisely the scene i liked the less in the entire movie and i thought "thank god the rest of the movie was so great that it makes me forget this scene".
I love the entire part with M. Caine the best, he's such an outstanding actor and his performance as an old hippie was fantastic. I also loved the colors used, contrast lowed down, introduction and position of the greys.
It's so diferent from one person to another, typical for Cuaron's style. It's all about the ambiance he creates (like, for example harry Potter and the pris. of Azk., half HP community loved it as the best of the serie, the other half just found it slow and boring, guess in which part i'm situated).
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 14:13 9th July 2008
I agree with Harrsion, the film bored me until the last 20 minutes. I also gave it a rating of 6/10 at IMDb.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 05:24 11th July 2008
Rendition

Starring: Reese Witherspoon, Jake Gyllenhaal, Meryl Streep.

Plot:
Originally Posted by IMDb:
After a terrorist bombing kills an American envoy in a foreign country. An investigation leads to an Egyptian who has been living in the United States for years and who is married to an American. He is apprehended when he's on his way home. The U.S. sends him to the country where the incident occurs for interrogation which includes torture. An American CIA operative observes the interrogation and is at odds whether to keep it going or to stop it. In the meantime, the man's wife raises hell to find him despite being pregnant but the person behind this refuses to help or give her any information.
The movie is not too bad, although I was never a fan of Reese Witherspoon, she does a pretty good job here. I give it a 6.5/10, good to watch, but not a must see. I watched it on TV because I had nothing else to do, so.
[Reply]
Harrison 11:47 11th July 2008
I wanted to see Rendition but completely forgot about it and missed it at the cinema. Will have to watch it when I get the chance. I've always really liked Reese Witherspoon. Never liked Meryl Streep much though.
[Reply]
my_lo 12:25 11th July 2008
Yeah, Reese Witherspoon is great, i really liked her in "Walk the line"
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 15:43 11th July 2008
I never watched Walk the Line, I'm not that big Cash fan. I saw her often in such cheesy teenie movies, and didn't like her acting. I'm also no fan of Meryl Streep, and along with that, she's ugly
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 13:58 14th July 2008
All the King's Men

Genre: Political Drama
Starring: Sean Penn, Kate Winslet, Jude Law

Plot: In the 50's, in Louisiana, the smart populist, manipulative and wolf hick Willie Stark is elected governor with the support of the lower social classes. He joins a team composed of his bodyguard and friend Sugar Boy; the journalist from an aristocratic family Jack Burden; the lobbyist Tiny Duffy; and his mistress Sadie Burke, to face the opposition of the upper classes. When the influent Judge Irwin supports a group of politicians in their request of impeachment, Stark assigns Jack to find some dirtiness along the life of Irwin, leading to a tragedy in the end.

Not bad, worth a watch, but don't await any action here. 6/10

Flags of our Fathers

Genre: War Drama
Starring: Ryan Phillippe, Jesse Bradford, Adam Beach

Plot: In 1945, the Marines attack twelve thousand Japaneses protecting the twenty square kilometers of the sacred Iwo Jima island in a very violent battle. When they reach the Mount Suribachi and six soldiers raise their flag on the top, the picture become a symbol in a post Great Depression America. The government brings the three survivors to America to raise funds of war, bringing hope to desolated people, and making the three men heroes of war. However, the traumatized trio has difficulties to deal with the image build by their superiors, sharing the heroism with their mates.

One of two films directed by Clint Eastwood, the second one being Letters from Iwo Jima, which I have still to watch. This one is very good, and again you get a picture of how it really was during a war. 7.5/10
[Reply]
Harrison 14:31 14th July 2008
In pursuit of Happyness.

Starring: Will Smith, Jaden Smith

This was a very moving and touching film. Possibly one of Will Smiths best films to date. It is very different to the usual action films we are used to seeing Will Smith in. And although it's story (which is based in a real one) could have ended up very cheesy and obvious, it didn't thanks to good direction and acting.

It is worth seeing, and I can guarantee it will touch anyone who watches it.

8/10
[Reply]
my_lo 07:32 15th July 2008
Batman begins

Starring: Christian Bale, Katie Holmes, Liam Neeson, Morgan freeman, Gary Oldman and Michael Caine

I don't know why but I had never watched it eventhough this is really my kind of movie. I was a bit afraid to find a movie filled with special effects where everything happens too fast and only leaves you with the feeling of not enough. (my feeling about the spiderman serie)
I didn't read any synopsis nor any comment about it, so i didn't know what to expect... I've been very surprised to find a brand new Batman, where all is less cartoonish, where they restart everything at zero with the young Bruce Wayne and the way he became the hero. The casting was amazing and once again Michael Caine was great. I really had a good time and i can't wait for the next episod

9/10
[Reply]
Harrison 08:04 15th July 2008
Batman begins was a brilliant film. I think it was the right move to restart the whole franchise again from the start, reinventing Batman from the beginning with a more serious and much darker take on the character and his world. Much better than trying to do sequels to the existing cartoon focused previous films.

And this seems to be the trend lately with many of the old series being restarted. Look at James Bond. That too has been restarted with a much more serious, more violent, realistic 007. And the next Batman, due our later this year, is looking good from the trailers.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12
Up