Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Thread: "The last movie you've seen" thread
burns flipper 12:21 27th June 2008
Stranger Than Fiction
I'm not a Will Ferrell fan by any means, in fact I don't really like the man, but I really enjoyed this movie.

IMDB: "Everybody knows that your life is a story. But what if a story was your life? Harold Crick is your average IRS agent: monotonous, boring, and repetitive. But one day this all changes when Harold begins to hear an author inside his head narrating his life. The narrator it is extraordinarily accurate, and Harold recognizes the voice as an esteemed author he saw on TV. But when the narration reveals that he is going to die, Harold must find the author of the story, and ultimately his life, to convince her to change the ending of the story before it is too late."

I'd class this as a "thinking man's movie". It's not funny (not intentionally, some scenes have a dry humour), it's like a light science fiction. What if the events in your life were being written by someone else, who just thought they were writing a story? It follows Harold as he changes from being a monotonous person with no life outside of work, to someone who wants to have a real life of his own, one that he controls and is responsible for. My description probably makes it sound a bit dull but there's enough in the film to keep you occupied, and I came away thinking about it for a few days.

I'd recommend it and so have intentionally left out spoilers.

8/10

Superbad
A good one here, it follows the events of 3 students on the last day of college before they all go off to University. It's an important party tonight, with all 3 of them tasked with getting the alcohol for it, and all wanting to secure girlfriends for the holiday. The film starts on the last day at college and then most of it is spent on the events leading up to the party that night. To make the film interesting, one freak event leads to another, which leads to another, and you're thinking "how will they ever make it??".

IMDB: "Seth and Evan are best friends, inseparable, navigating the last weeks of high school. Usually shunned by the popular kids, Seth and Evan luck into an invitation to a party, and spend a long day, with the help of their nerdy friend Fogell, trying to score enough alcohol to lubricate the party and inebriate two girls, Jules and Becca, so they can kick-start their sex lives and go off to college with a summer full of experience and new skills. Their quest is complicated by Fogell's falling in with two inept cops who both slow and assist the plan. If they do get the liquor to the party, what then? Is sex the only rite of passage at hand?"

It's funny and serious. One to watch on a Friday or Saturday night, but not with your mum due to the intense profanity. It reminded me exactly of what it was like finishing school, with all the excitement and promise of what was to come - the film really captures that atmosphere. It moved me a little, it has some special real-life moments in, and I felt I was on their journey with them.

9/10

Click!
Another good one I saw very recently. I saw this advertised as "man gets a remote control that controls reality" with a picture of Adam Sandler, so I naturally assumed it would be a comedy with him e.g. putting his wife in slo-mo as she undressed, or clicking 'mute' when she was shouting at him.

I was completely wrong, it's not a comedy at all. It's like a variation on A Christmas Carol, where someone gets a different perspective on their life and sees what effect this has on the people he loves. It's another "thinking man's movie", not too heavy but enough to leave you thinking about it for a few days.

IMDB: "A workaholic architect finds a universal remote that allows him to fast-forward and rewind to different parts of his life. Complications arise when the remote starts to overrule his choices."

Once he gets the remote, he's told it "learns" from how he uses it and will do it automatically next time. He gets a cold and 'fast forwards' until he's better, and wakes up feeling completely better...so for the week when he's unwell (which he didn't directly experience), his body goes into auto-pilot as his mind/soul isn't really present. He misses out the cold, but next time he gets ill for longer he realises he's starting to miss out on the lives and experiences of the people he loves as he's ill for longer, and he loses control over what happens since the remote has now 'learnt' to skip illness, and more.

Recommended, and it all resolves itself in the end so don't worry!

8/10
[Reply]
Harrison 13:34 27th June 2008
Stranger than fiction was really good. I watched it a couple of months ago when I couldn't find any other films on that I hadn't already seen and although the style is quite querky it was interesting with a good ending.
[Reply]
burns flipper 11:05 1st July 2008
I agree - the casting was great, the actors really fitted the roles well and you kind of got lost in the story without being reminded it was just a film.
[Reply]
v85rawdeal 15:18 5th July 2008
Movie: The Forbidden Kingdom
Certificate: 12A?
Release: 9th July
Length: Wasn't paying attention...
Cast: Jet Li, Jackie Chan

Plot Outline: A powerful immortal seeks vengeance on the one who embarrassed him.

A story that has been eagerly awaited has finally arrived, although with a few twists that will perhaps displease fans of the series Monkey.

Set initially in modern-day USA, the story tells of a young boy, whose interest in martial arts leads him on a journey of self-discovery. Unwillingly involved in a serious crime, a desperate act leads to uncovering hidden talents within.

Just how special this move is can be summed up by the surnames of the two main cast members. Li & Chan. A movie starring two of the greatest modern day martial arts protagonists was often considered the Holy Grail. Well this movie is the Da Vinci Code of the genre.

Not only are they in the same movie, but they perform one hell of a fight sequence. With Jackie Chan demonstrating some of the original martial arts skills that he made his name with, and Jet Li demonstrating a variety of katas, laced with elements of humour, and some wonderful demonstrations of chi powers; this movie does capture the feel of the mythical tales alongside some wonderful wirework and beatifully choreagraphed fight sequences.

Seems to be slightly cliched, but when you consider the source material, it is not so much cliche as 'traditional'.

Overall: 8.5/10 (Beautifully shot, with great sequences, a solid story, and elements of humour. A sense of predictability does lose some of the edge off the film, but the ride is still good. I highly recommend this movie, and look forward to seeing more movies using Li & Chan.)

Movie: The Mist
Certificate: 15?
Release: Probably now
Length: 125 mins

Plot Outline: A small town finds itself engulfed by a thick mist.

As this is a Stephen King story, you can expect that this is not your ordinary 'pea-souper' from Old London Town.

The story follows a man and his son as they head off on a shopping trip with the next door neighbour. Whilst they are in the superstore, the mist reaches the centre of town and effectively traps the shoppers in the store.

As time goes on, strange noises and screams are heard from far off. During this time, tempers begin to flare amongst the shoppers, with one or two bearing the brunt of the anger. Eventually factions form and plans are made.

The action scenes are good, not great, as the main focus of the story is on the personalities of the individuals and how the stress of the situation affects them. There are tense moments, and one or two shocks, but the main part of the story is relatively standard King fare.

The inevitable division occurs, and the movie proceeds to follow the smaller group's attempt to gain understanding of what is going on and their resultant decisions.

For me, I found the ending of the movie quite harrowing and disturbing, to the point where I questioned what my actions would have been. As upsetting as I find moments like this in a movie, I appreciate the way it can get you to question your own humanity.

Overall: 8/10 (The ending left a bitter-sweet taste in my mouth, but also tears in my eyes. The sense of forboding in the film is quite tangible, especially with the lack of explanation as to the cause of the events [something that I have noticed has started to become a trend; which, in my honest opinion, is about time too. Let's stop treating the audience like dummies and assume that we DO have brains]. I did enjoy the movie, and wasn't left wishing I could have those two hours back.)
[Reply]
Sharingan 17:53 8th July 2008
Hot Fuzz

Starring: Simon Pegg, Nick Frost, Timothy Dalton
Seen at: DVD

Brilliant, simply brilliant. The parody to end all parodies. I couldn't believe this movie was made on a budget of 8M pounds, when the average Hollywood flick seems to cost over 80 million dollars to 200+ million nowadays. Just goes to show that plot and good acting are worth more than big name actors and special effects. I laughed my ass off from beginning to end.

Score: 9.0 out of 10

The Chronicles of Narnia: Prince Caspian

Starring: Many
Seen at: Cinema

Darker and grittier than the first effort, and definitely more cohesive plot-wise. It isn't going to rival LotR, but it's a nice enough fantasy film anyway, with breathtaking visuals, some fine action sequences and good performances by the child actors.

This second episode of course sees the Pevensie children return to the world of Narnia. Although initially delighted, they soon chance upon the ruins of a once-great castle. Their delight turns into horror when they discover that those ruins are, in fact, the remains of Cair Paravel, the great stronghold where they had once ruled as kings and queens. Determined to find out what happened to their castle and where the Narnians had gone to, they set out on a quest to find the truth.

I quite enjoyed the film, even though it was quite a long sit. Recommended for people who like fantasy and those who liked the books, worth a look for everyone else.

Score: 7.8 out of 10
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 18:22 8th July 2008
American Gangster

Originally Posted by IMDb:
Following the death of his employer and mentor, Bumpy Johnson, Frank Lucas establishes himself as the number one importer of heroin in the Harlem district of Manhattan. He does so by buying heroin directly from the source in South East Asia and he comes up with a unique way of importing the drugs into the United States. As a result, his product is superior to what is currently available on the street and his prices are lower. His alliance with the New York Mafia ensures his position. It is also the story of a dedicated and honest policeman, Richie Roberts, who heads up a joint narcotics task force with the Federal government. Based on a true story.
Absolutely great movie, 9/10.

And I also agree with Hot Fuzz, although I possibly didn't get all the jokes
[Reply]
Harrison 23:40 8th July 2008
Hot Fuzz is a brilliant film. I saw it twice at the cinema, and about 5 times since on DVD and TV. Is great. On a par with Shawn of the Dead.

Stephen King's Thinner

This was just on the Sky Horror film channel and I've wanted to see it for some time. Very well made TV movie based on this Stephen King story. Involving a fat man who is cursed by a gypsy for the death of his daughter, he starts to lose a lot of weight until he realises he is going to become so thin he dies. The only way to prevent this is to somehow get the curse lifted.

It is a bit slow to begin with, but is worth watching as the last third is better. And although I did already know the story it was still worth watching.

6/10
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 06:38 9th July 2008
Lions for Lambs

Starring Meryl Streep, Robert Redford (which also directed it) and little Tommy Cruise.

Originally Posted by IMDb:
Three stories told simultaneous in ninety minutes of real time: a Republican Senator who's a presidential hopeful gives an hour-long interview to a skeptical television reporter, detailing a strategy for victory in Afghanistan; two special forces ambushed on an Afghani ridge await rescue as Taliban forces close in; a poli-sci professor at a California college invites a promising student to re-engage. Decisions press upon the reporter, the student, and the soldiers.
Not bad imo, worth a watch, but nothing outstanding, 6/10.
[Reply]
my_lo 10:23 9th July 2008
CHILDREN OF MEN

Written by Alphonso Cuaron
Actors: Clive Owen - Michael Caine - Julianne Moore

In a future were mankind cannot reproduce anymore, a pregnant woman is a symbol of hope but she must not fall into the wrong hands. Clive Owen has to help her in her journey to join a group of people called "the human project" where she will be protected...

When a workmate advised me that movie, i was afraid to see another of those advertisement for having babies, some kind of crap message about the so called marvel of giving the life. But not at all, the only message in the movie is about peace and it's really nice.

To notice: during the whole movie, they go through a lot of violence but yet, the hero will not once use a weapon...

Probably the best movie i've seen in a long time: 9/10

TRANSFORMERS

Not much to say except that i really had a great (unexpected) evening thanks to this movie. I knew it would be a pop-corn time and nothing else and it did the job nicely. I thought it would be chained visual effects with a big "not all machines are your enemy" kind of crap at the end, i was mistaking. The robots are attaching and the scenario is pretty cool.

Great time: 8.5/10

DIE HARD 4.0

Mc Clain is back and once again, he has to defeat a super organised band of terrorists alone. Chuck Norris, eat your heart out! As usual, it's very rythmy and the visual effects are probably the bests in the whole serie. Plus, at the beginning, we can see the apartment of a young hacker and it's so geeky, i just love it... A bit later we can also see a basement where another hacker is living and, even if they have over-cliché'd it, it's really lovely done.

Let's go Bruce, kick their ass: 8.5/10
[Reply]
Harrison 10:55 9th July 2008
I was very disappointed with Children of Men. It was a very slow film. The ideas and concepts were great and the production was very good. However I spent much of the film quite bored. The scene near the end in the apartment block with the tanks and armed forces really had energy and drew you into the scene, but for me it wasn't quite enough to redeem the film completely.

For me I would give to 6/10. Worth watching, great concept, but not so well written. The acting was also a little dead.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11
Up