Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14
Thread: "The last movie you've seen" thread
Harrison 00:15 4th March 2008
Sunshine

I missed this film at the cinema, and really wanted to see it on the big screen to get the full effect of space and the sun. And after watching it on the small screen I really wish I had managed to because I know I missed some of the visuals epic majesty.

The film's plot is quite simplistic. The sun is dying and the last hope for mankind's survival is for a team to travel to the sun and detonate a bomb into its core, to restart it and save all of mankind. One ship was already sent but contact was lost and the mission's completion time came and went without the result needed. No one knew what had happened to the first ship, and so in a last ditch attempt the remaining resources of Earth were used to create a second identical ship to try again. If the second attempt failed then that was it, the end of Man.

The style for most of the film is slow and thought provoking, creating a tension reminiscent of previous classics such as 2001. The crew grow tired of the wait to reach their destination, with obsessions with the sun growing for some of the crew, while others fought each other of decisions taken.

The discovery of the original first ship sent on the mission brought some similarities with the beginning of Event Horizon, and sadly other horror aspects were also introduced right at the end of the film, which I thought were not needed. Instead creating a philosophical thought provoking chain of events to show the magnitude of the suns power compared to the task they had to undertake, as well as questions of religion and mystical forces could also have been used, instead of the way it was instead portrayed.

But even with the unnecessary horror elements and some other minor flaws it is still a film worth seeing.

9/10
[Reply]
Ghost 22:58 8th March 2008
Hello al,

I just saw Doom; the movie here on Dutch television, and I have to say, this is one of the most boring cliché ridden movies there is.

Ignoring the fact that the movie barely resembles the games at all, ignoring the fact that the writers just made some crap story involving pseudo science, I can't recommend this movie at all unless you absolutely have to see everything that resembles soldiers vs monsters.

I found the characters unlikeable, the effects not that interesting at all, and I have walked away several times in order to do other things.

Doom the movie is just another example why Hollywood shouldn't turn games into movies; because it just doesn't work.
[Reply]
Buleste 12:37 12th March 2008
The Muppet Show Season One
DVD

I know this thread is about movies but i thought i'd put this in as well.
Due to a bout of Depression and Insomnia i started to trawl through my DVD collection and from previous knowledege of times like these i know that watching a TV series whilst doesn't cure anything it does while away the hours. So from my choice of B5, Firefly, Robotech, Fraggle Rock, Muppets, Heat Guy J, Tokyo Underground, Orguss 02 and a few others i decided on Season One of The Muppet Show.
The idea for a variety show featuring the Muppets had been bouncing round American TV startions for years but no one wanted to pick the show up. That is until the British TV mogul Lord Lew Grade decided to commision 24 episodes and so the Muppet show was born. As this is season one some of the guest are not as well known as in the later seasons due to the Muppet show was career suicide in showbiz circles (goes to show how wrong they were) but there are still guests like Peter Ustinov, Vincent Price, Ethel Merman and Bruce Forsythe(?). However ther are some classic scetches such as Manah Manah, Fever (with Rita Moreno and Animal an episode that won 2 Emmys) and many more.
If you are over the age of 30 I recommend you slip back into childhood and watch the Muppets as only the guest stars have aged (as most of the jokes were old to start off with). Also i reccomend switching on the comments as you get a lot of subtitled information with each episode. This 4 DVD set contains all 24 episodes (12 Hours of chaos and mayhem)and also the pitch reel made by Jim Henson to try to get US Stations to buy the idea of the Muppet Show.

This gets 8 out of 10 purely because it gets surpassed by some of the later seasons but is still pure enjoyment.
[Reply]
Harrison 13:20 12th March 2008
I keep meaning to grab some of the DVDs of past TV series, and The Muppet Show is definitely one of them. I already have Fraggle Rock and that is still great.
[Reply]
Buleste 14:01 12th March 2008
I'm just trying to get the cash together for season 2 (If anyone wants to buy me this for no reason other than being really nice people, I don't mind).
[Reply]
Buleste 17:13 17th March 2008
Just managed to win a brand new copy of Season 2 for £14.99 from ebay. I'll review it when i get it, then i'll put a new wish list of things for you to get me. Found an old video with 3 episodes of Muppets Tonight (Michelle Pfiefer, Billy Chrystal and Sandra Bullock) and it was no where near as good as The Muppet Show.
[Reply]
Harrison 18:12 17th March 2008
What was the difference between Muppets Tonight and The Muppet Show? Didn't know their were two different ones!
[Reply]
Teho 19:29 17th March 2008
Muppets Tonight was intended for a more mature audience. It aired later and had more adult humour in it. Not over the top of course, but some stuff definitely wasn't for the young ones. I think the show flopped bad, but I remember seeing the first episode when it aired here, and I thought that was great. Especially that Bay of Pigswatch thing was funny. But mostly because you weren't expecting those kind of jokes from muppets I guess. I think that was the Michelle Pfeiffer episode. Never saw any of the others though, maybe the thing just got old pretty fast. You should see that first episode once if you can though, it wasn't bad at all in my opinion.
[Reply]
Buleste 21:23 17th March 2008
Originally Posted by Harrison:
What was the difference between Muppets Tonight and The Muppet Show? Didn't know their were two different ones!
About 20 years and Jim Henson. Muppets tonight wasn't aimed at a more mature market it was just more modern. Muppets tonight was set as a TV sow with a purple (but distinctly black) host and a lot of the old characters were sidelined. Some of the good stuff was Deep Dish 9 and Elvis moments in history. But overall the show lacked something and i personally think it was that Jim Henson magic.
[Reply]
Harrison 08:33 18th March 2008
Ah! A purple host! I do remember that. So I must have watched it but then wiped it from my mind. Either that or my old age is starting to play tricks on my mind.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 14
Up