Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
6 12 13 14 15 16 17
Thread: "The last movie you've seen" thread
Demon Cleaner 00:08 3rd December 2008
Ok, you're perhaps right, quite a few things were really stupid. Also at the end of that jungle race when they jumped with the car on the tree, then were let down and continued in the water to manage it to dive 3 river falls!!

Or when he flies around several miles in a fridge without breaking one single bone

The movie might be stupid, and even more for the Indy fans, but for me it had some entertainment, but by far away from the trilogy. I can imagine myself that for true fans of the trilogy, it was a huge disappointment. Oz didn't like it either, as he's one big fan himself, but did see it a bit the same like me.
[Reply]
Sharingan 22:06 13th December 2008
Beowulf

Starring: Voices of Anthony Hopkins, Ray Winstone, Robin Wright-Penn, Angelina Jolie, Crispin Glover, Brendan Gleeson
Seen at: Home, Blu-ray

I've avoided watching this movie for a long time, because I expected it to be crummy. Saw the Blu-ray version in the shop shelves for cheap, though, and thought ... why not give it a try. I was pleasantly surprised. It may not be the most accurate depiction of the classic poem, but it definitely is more entertaining in CGI form.

The motion capturing still needs a bit of work, though. Most of the animation is well-done, but movement appears a bit stiff, and the facial expressions (especially eyes and mouth) seem unnatural.

Score: 7.5 out of 10
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 15:13 15th December 2008
Originally Posted by Sharingan:
Beowulf

I've avoided watching this movie for a long time, because I expected it to be crummy.
Same here, that's why I still didn't watch it.

Sheitan

Watched it yesterday, it's a french horror movie with Vincent Cassel, whom I like a lot as french actor, but the movie isn't that great, thus it's one of Cassel's worse movies. 4.5/10
[Reply]
Buleste 09:54 10th January 2009
The Muppet Show Season 3

I'm back with my Muppet Show DVD's with possibly the strangest season so far. To start off with this can best be described as the country season as a lot of the musical guests are from the Country Music scene from the 70's with the only one I'd heard of being Kris Kristofferson. Apart from that the guests are an eclectic bunch ranging from Alice Cooper to Liberace, Sylvester Stallone to Raquel Welch (Very good looking but having a bad hair day). There are a few classic sketches and some very strange ones (one of the guests Marisa Berenson sings a song called You're Always Welcome At Our House which is a song about killing visitors to her house. If you don't believe me watch it here). Most importantly it features the first appearance of Lew Zealand (Spelt Lew Zeeland on the subtitles on the DVD) who saves Kermit from marrying Piggy and in subsequent episodes appears in musical numbers with his boomerang fish.

Rating:
For over 35's 9/10
For under 35's 6/10

If you want a full view of what's on the DVD's go here.
[Reply]
Sharingan 21:33 19th June 2009
Angels and Demons

Starring: Tom Hanks
Seen at: Cinema

Plot Synopsis:

Despite his notorious relationship with the Church, Harvard symbologist Robert Langdon is once again called upon to decipher the clues to a catastrophic conspiracy. The Pope has died, and before conclave can begin to determine his successor, the four preferitti (primary hopefuls for the papacy) are kidnapped. An ominous threat of their hourly demise, along with the complete annihilation of Vatican City, is issued as an elaborate revenge scheme for a persecuted group known as the Illuminati. With their meager time limit steadily counting down, Langdon, accompanied by beautiful physicist Vittoria Vetra, must travel throughout Rome to unravel the carefully hidden signs that will lead them to a terrifying adversary, a harrowing discovery, and the shocking truth.

Verdict:

Somewhat predictable, but decent enough action/thriller, with good actor performances throughout. Probably not worth visiting a theater for, but should be good for a DVD rental or purchase.

Score: 7.0 out of 10
[Reply]
Harrison 22:56 19th June 2009
For me I both enjoyed and disliked Angels and Demons.

I really liked the book and still think it was better than the Da Vinci Code. And the film was well made with the majority of the book left intact. However Tom Hanks is still completely wrong for the role and just doesn't fit the character portrayed in the books. And as with the Da Vinci Code they cut the love interest part completely out between Langdon and Vetra. There was also a key character from the book completely removed from the film. But for me the biggest thing that annoyed me was that the ending was changed!
[Reply]
Sharingan 10:10 22nd June 2009
It was a good while ago when I read the book, so maybe that's why I wasn't so bothered with the changes they made. But you're right, the ending was a bit on the ridiculous side.

A couple more movies to add:

Death Race

Starring: Jason Statham, Ian McShane

Plot synopsis:

In the not-so-distant future, the world economy has collapsed. Among high unemployment and general chaos, criminality rises to the point where government-run prisons can no longer handle the massive influx of prisoners. Privately owned, commercial prisons spring up to fill in the void, but as always, when money comes into the picture, evil plots begin to arise.

Jensen Ames (Statham), a former racing champion, is framed for the murder of his wife and forced to make a choice: die in prison, or take part in DEATH RACE - an entertainment show where prison inmates race each other to the death - with the 'promise' of freedom should he manage to win.

Verdict:

When I saw the trailer to this movie, I thought it would be a dumb film. After having watched it, I STILL think it's dumb, but at the same time, very entertaining. Death Race basically is thin on plot and acting, but more than makes up with adrenaline-pumping, explosive action (and an incredibly hot female co-star!).

Definitely worth a watch if you're into cars and gritty action.

Score: 6.9 out of 10

Ong Bak 2

Starring: Tony Jaa

Plot synopsis:

As a young boy born of nobility, Tien (Tony Jaa) witnesses the brutal murder of his parents at the hands of a renegade warlord. Orphaned, the youth is taken in by a band of mountain bandits who teach him the art of combat. Growing up, he has become content with life as a bandit, but when he encounters a statue in the likeness of his murdered father during one of his raids, memory comes flooding back to him, and he vows to use his skills to dethrone the warlord and free the population from his cruel reign.

Verdict:

Ong Bak 2 is a sequel only in name, for it has nothing to do with the first part (apart from seeing the return of Tony Jaa). Plot-wise, Ong Bak 2 is nothing to write home about, but then again, I don't think anyone is expecting such - people just want to see explosive martial arts action, and that's what you get.

Tony Jaa's fighting skill surely has matured, and he seems to have little trouble using several different styles throughout the course of the movie, from Japanese swordfighting to Chinese style boxing, Drunken Fist and of course, Muay Thai. The choreography is very well done, and fans of martial arts will surely appreciate the fast-paced fights.

Score: 6.8 out of 10
[Reply]
burns flipper 07:56 23rd June 2009
Step Brothers

Starring: Will Ferrell, John O'Reilly
Seen at: Home, DVD

Plot synopsis:
An older man and woman meet and are instantly attracted to one another. It turns out they both have 40-year-old sons who still live at home with them, unemployed and still acting like children. When the couple decide to get married, they all move into the same house and the step-brothers become rivals. Hilarity ensues.

Verdict:
Although a comedy in the main part, it shows you life through another perspective - the child within us all - but also has a "growth" element, where the brothers learn to take charge of their own lives through the decisions they make. I watched it with my wife, who doesn't like "silly" movies, and she really enjoyed it. I didn't used to be much of a fan of Ferrel, but after watching this, and Ron Burgundy, and Bewitched, and Stranger Than Fiction I have to admit he's really good at being both serious and funny, often at the same time. I also like the way his movies make me think about things in my own life, and my own behaviours.

This movie made me laugh. It also made me think, and moved me a little in places. It shows you how easy it is to unknowingly let others affect your life, but that you take charge again and still live a grown-up life whilst having fun and allowing the child within to still be a part of you. And it contains the dialogue "What are you doing??" "I'm burying you alive!" "But I thought you were dead!!" "I know, I used my ninja focus to still my breathing!" right before Will buries his brother alive in the dead of night.

Score: 8.5 out of 10
[Reply]
Harrison 11:33 23rd June 2009
I've never liked Will Ferrell. In most films he tends to act in that American childish humour way that just isn't funny to anyone with an IQ and just come across that he thinks he is great, which instantly gives me a dislike for him. Others that have a danger of acting this way are Jack Black, Adam Sandler and Jim Carry. When any of them do this it just ruins the whole film and produces complete crap. But I think Farrell has produced more crap than the rest combined.

For me his worst films (that I've seen) have been blades of glory and Talladega Nights.

But when given a good script and a director that can stop him doing this he can be a reasonable actor. Not brilliant though, and definitely not good enough to warrant the number of films he keeps appearing in. Most of which he ruins.

Probably his most interesting film has been Stranger than Fiction. That was surreal enough to be good.

I don't think I will ever like him enough to pay to actually see a film he stars in.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 01:20 24th June 2009
Step Brothers is one of the worst movies I ever saw, just pathetic. The jokes are perhaps good enough if you are 12 years old. Also probably John O'Reilly worst movie.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
6 12 13 14 15 16 17
Up