Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2
Thread: Happy Hangovers.
TiredOfLife 01:18 2nd January 2008
Happy New Year indeed.
That's all the part-time drinkers out of my pubs and out of my way for another year.

Hmm, back to the Rant thread for me I think.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 13:28 3rd January 2008
My gf's grandmother died at 10PM on the 1.1.2008, so that wasn't a very good beginning for the whole family. She was already in hospital for over 2 month, and had been transferred into another one because she was getting worse the last week. So it wasn't such a rude surprise as everybody knew a bit that this would happen. Still it was very sad.
[Reply]
Harrison 13:39 3rd January 2008
Oh dear. That wasn't a nice start to the new year at all. It is always very sad, even when it has been expected. You can only prepare yourself so much for the lose of a loved one. My condolences to her and her family. I hope they manage to come to terms with her passing.

Why do so many older people die over the Christmas period? Both of my Grand Mothers died over the Christmas Period, as well as a Great Uncle. A time when you are meant to be happy.
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 14:03 3rd January 2008
Originally Posted by :
Why do so many older people die over the Christmas period? Both of my Grand Mothers died over the Christmas Period, as well as a Great Uncle. A time when you are meant to be happy.
Perhaps that is exactly the time when they feel loneliest, because others celebrate and forget a bit about them and let them feel lonely.

Problem also was I hadn't met her parents before, this was the first time. And I was there for 15 minutes when the phone rang and it was the hospital. I didn't also feel quite well at that moment. They then went to the hospital and I stayed with her younger brother, who is 19, at home until they got back. But it looked that they have seen it coming, as the only one who really cried was her mother.
[Reply]
Buleste 14:40 3rd January 2008
I don't think more people die over the festive period than at any other time in winter, it's just that we feel it more because people are sad at a time that is supposed to be joyous.
[Reply]
Sharingan 15:57 3rd January 2008
Sorry to hear about the gf's grandmother. My grandmother died the day after a birthday celebration. We had a big party with BBQ and all, and a few hours after we'd gone home and to sleep, we were called out of bed because 'things weren't going too well with grandma'. Went to hospital right away, in the middle of the night, and remained with her until she passed away.

It's not exactly the same thing, but it sure was strange experiencing something so sad right after a very joyous occasion. Made me feel very guilty afterwards.
[Reply]
TiredOfLife 00:14 4th January 2008
My condolences also.

The Xmas period can be quite hectic, stressfull and also cold.
This can contribute towards illnesses the elderley may already have.
Perhaps this explains the increased mortality rate at this time of the year.
[Reply]
Harrison 00:59 4th January 2008
Or could it just be all the bird flu they are catching from their turkey!
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2
Up