Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3 4
Thread: Unicomp Keyboards
Stephen Coates 15:01 31st December 2007
Has anyone here heard of Unicomp keyboards?

They make keyboard that are identicle and similar to IBM's model M.

Apparently these keyboards are very good and I was thinking of getting one to replace my Dell keyboard which I sometimes find a bit difficult to type on (I don't know why, but sometimes I find a perticular keyboard difficult to type on, then later, I find the same keybord really nice).

I will probably get either their Customizer 105 or the SpaceSaver as I need Windows keys. It's just a shame that they don't do the Customizer 105 in beige as I would probably have one of those if they did.

They have a nice looking website which would be better if they supplied some more information about the keyboards here: http://pckeyboards.stores.yahoo.net/
[Reply]
Harrison 15:11 31st December 2007
Wow! Those keyboards definitely look retro! I've not seen any like that for many years. I think the last one I used was a Compaq keyboard attached to an XT style PC. A long time ago. They definitely look robust! If bulky and old.

It is interesting that you mentioned you have in the past found a keyboard hard to type on, and then later found the same one nice. This happened to me with the Microsoft Internet Keyboard. A couple of new PCs arrived in the office years ago and I had to set them up, and at the time I thought the keyboard was horrible.

But now I use the exact same keyboards on all of my own PCs and love them. I can type fast, the keys feel nice to press, and it is responsive so I can type fast without many errors. I highly recommend the Microsoft Internet Keyboard for you to consider buying as they are very well build and robust, and unless you need a wireless setup I don't think a more expensive keyboard is really worth the money. And best of all is the price. £10. You can't grumble about that now can you!
[Reply]
Buleste 15:16 31st December 2007
Don't like those keyboards they're tooo practical. No UFC (Useless Flashy Crap) on them. Give me one that glows in the dark and can wipe my arse any day.
[Reply]
Harrison 15:25 31st December 2007
I did actually see a really cool keyboard the other week that I'm tempted to buy. It has a light sensor, so that as the light level drops the keys light up with a great looking cool blue backlight. It looked great.

But if you want the ultimate in UFC included in your keyboard then you have to go a long way to beat the Logitech G15 gaming keyboard.

[Reply]
Stephen Coates 15:33 31st December 2007
We have some Microsoft keyboards at college which have a funny layout (They arn't rectangular). I think they are supposed to be more 'ergonomic' or something. They feel quite nice but were quite difficult to type on a first due to the odd layout, Now I find them OK but I would still prefer a normal keyboard.

I have used keyboard which have buckling spring thingys and mechanical switches and thought they were quite nice. My Apple Extended Keyboard II is on which uses the mechanical switches, and is another example of a keyboard which I sometimes find nice and sometimes struggle with. But it's switches do have a nice feel to them.
[Reply]
Buleste 15:36 31st December 2007
Thats close but it has a standard keyboard layout. If it had the ergonomically designed keys then it'd be close because then it would just about become impractical for use. Try this one for UFC keyless keyboard
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 15:37 31st December 2007
I tend to prefer plain looking things these days. Sometimes useless lights might look good, or the idea might sound good, but I really wouldn't want to be sat in a room full of differnt coloured lights coming from different objects.

And blue lights are a big no no. I do like the colour of blue lights, but I just can't get on with looking at them. They look blurry.

I think i will be able to make an exception for the bit of red light which comes out of the back of my Microsoft mouse.

EDIT: These are the keyboards we have at college http://www.microsoft.com/hardware/mo...s.aspx?pid=040
[Reply]
Harrison 16:40 31st December 2007
Oh, those ones with the slightly curved keys are fine. Some laptops use similar layouts now too. I thought you meant those touch typing keyboards with the split keys like this one. I've never got on with those.
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 17:19 31st December 2007
i have never typed on one of those split ones before and I don;t really want to. The thought of it make me glad I have a normal keyboard.

I can type quite well without looking on those curved MS ones though.

Hmm. I just got an email back from them saying that it will cost about $50 for them to ship a keyboard to me.
[Reply]
StuKeith 19:26 31st December 2007
Ive just ordered my 3rd one of these!

Natrual 4000

great keyboards, and I use all the buttons. I'm on the 3rd as they don't seem to stand up to kids pouring drinks over them too well! Very comfortable and nice to use.

I'm using an old usb acer one atm, and i find it hard to type as the keys are close together and I find im getting cramp again!

I can however type well on my laptop???
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3 4
Up