Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15
Thread: Random Rants
Buleste 15:43 3rd March 2008
Originally Posted by Harrison:
I've used ATI cards for a long time in some of my systems and have never had any problems with their graphics drivers. At the moment I have two systems running 9800 Pro's and another with a 9600. All of these systems have been reinstalled over time, drivers updated etc... and never any issues.

I would recommend using the free Driver Cleaner tool however to completely clean the system of existing graphics drivers before installing a newer version just to make sure there is nothing on the system HD that might confuse things.

However my current main system has been running an nVidia 7800 GT for about 2 years now and it has been a great card without any real issues. Plus the graphics drivers do seem easier to install and setup compared to ATI offerings. And it has made me want to upgrade to another nVidia card instead of ATI when the time comes.
The issues i've had with the drivers are well known. Several time after uninstalling old drivers and installing new drivers i kept getting BSODS until eventually ATI came up with a stable driver which then continually brings up a ati2mtag error in the event log to which ATI's response is it is a known problem and if you don't want the error go back and try 6.10 version of the driver. The other annoying thing is I cannot use the full resolution that my monitor is capable of because of ATI's drivers. The general response on the net is that ATI are crap at writing drivers and as software is easier than building hardware i don't hold out much hope for them.
[Reply]
Harrison 19:12 3rd March 2008
Maybe you shouldn't have swerved, then he would have your car and his to pay repair bills for! Although I know I personally would rather wreck a wheel than my actual car so I would have done the same as you.
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 18:35 28th April 2008
Always seems easy to find rants about public transport despite the fact that it is often good.

Last thrusday morning at 8:20, on the number 4 bus, it broke down in Dalton, with loads of smoke/steam coming out of the back. So we all ended up walking to the end of the road to get the X78 into town. Good job it was early in the morning and (should it have been later) on the day of the teachers strike. Meaning yet another day off.

This morning, the 4 bus took the wrong exit at the roundabout and went up the wrong road. Luckily he realised immediately and went onto the correct road using another route, missing out one bus stop. This wasn't a problem, but I thought, what if he didn't realise, or he thought he was driving the number 15, and went all the way up the wrong road?

And on the way back today on the 4, I sat at the back next to some people who were going home from school and they started wacking each other with bits of screwed up metro newspaper. Really not sure I understand that. These do make me wonder what will happen in the future.

And when will people stop coming round to my house and putting leaflets through my letterbox?! I have thought about putting a big sign over the letterbox saying 'Do not post leaflets through this letterbox if you wish to remain alive', but I havn't got round to it yet.
[Reply]
TiredOfLife 17:52 29th April 2008
There seems to be a lot of censorship around these days.
Am I talking about the internet in China or perhaps who is allowed to vote in Zimbabwe?
No, I am talking about power mad Admins on miggy sites.

There seems to be far too much ego around to fit comfortably onto sites these days.

For instance, I had a posting on a well known Amiga site today.
After posting, I read it again just to make sure I hadn't made too many typos.
(Didn't find any but that doesn't mean much.)
All looked correct.

Imagine my surprise later on when the posting just magically vanished.
Now some of the more cynically minded of you may think this was because the main admin on the site had mad a mistake, and I had kindly out of the goodness of my heart pointed this out.
(I might have taken the micky just a tiny, tiny, tiny amount)

Surely that can't be the reason?

Anyone any ideas what action I should take?
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 14:22 3rd July 2008
The post box on Markfield Drive which I posted my letter in the other day appears to have been severly damaged.

I went past it on the bus earlier and it was at an angle to the ground and was burnt and had tape round it saying out of servies. I assumed someone might have tried to blow it up, but according to the Sheffield Telegraph:

Crash blaze
A CAR burst into flames after running out of control and smashing into a post box. The Fiat Panda was being driven along Markfield Drive, Wickersley, when the accident occurred. The driver escaped unhurt before the car began burning.

Not sure when it was as I didn't go out yesterday, but my letter should have gone with the first collection yesterday. I hope it did.

I would expect that the durability of these post boxes would mean that the contents of it wouldn't have caught fire, since it was the car burning and that just caused the side of the post box to burn.
[Reply]
Buleste 14:24 3rd July 2008
What the hell was someone doing driving a Fiat PAnda??? They're James May mobiles. Inconsiderate bastards.
[Reply]
Harrison 15:13 3rd July 2008
It often amazes where people manage to crash a car. I mean, look at the size of a Fiat Panda, and then the size of a post box. The likelihood of hitting it is very small. Disgruntled ex-postman maybe?

Regarding stupid places for accidents. A guy in his 20s was killed in a car crash last year in Chichester. If you look at the piece of road where it occurred you just can't work out how. It is a 40 mile an hour quiet road that slightly curves to the right. It's also a very wide road where you could easily overtake something with enough room if a car were coming the other way. He apparently crashed on a nearly straight section of road and died from his injuries, and no other cars were involved. How? Is a mystery to me!
[Reply]
v85rawdeal 10:52 30th July 2008
What is the cuase of all the sh1t that is happening in society today?

Early last year, in March, my daughter's great aunt was murdered in Southampton, and Monday night, somebody decided it would be a 'lark' to set fire to the block of flats I live in.

NOw, I always imagined that I would be real sensible in a situation like that, but, you can never be certain until it happens. Fortunately the fire service were able rescue me and my daughter (who stays with me on a Monday night) without too much trouble, but the whole event, I fear, has had a bad effect on me.

We, myself and the other tennants, have got so used to the fire alarm getting set off by drunks and youngsters who think it is a laugh that we tend to ignore it. However, this Monday there was a noticable difference, namely the people shouting.

My first thought was to grab my little girl and head down the stairs and get out as soon as possible. The stairway was relatively clkear of smoke, but sudfdently it just filled with black acrid fiumes, and all visbility was gone.

I managed to make it to one of the landings, and closed the fire door, but that meant that myself, my daughter and three others were trapped on the landing. The worst part was the fire service could not get ladders to the windows because of all the scaffolding. I managed to pass my girl out and was able to make good my escape about five minutes later, after they had smashed a glass canopy to position a ladder.

Now, my daughter has been given the all-clear, and seems to be free of any after effects, but it, for the moment, has messed up my head.

I guess that is why I am writing this is so that it's good therapy for me, and that it can be a interesting point of discussion on how to deal with these sudden shocks.

Stupid thing is, and the problem with today's nanny state, is that whoever did it will claim it's because 'they're bored'. Sure, with all the modern forms of intertainment (computers, consoles, movies, internet, sports) kids get more enjoyment hanging around corners, doing nothing?!?

GIve me a break. My suggestion is that whoever gets caught for this, gets automatically volunteered into assisting the Fire Service with their drills (with real fire and smoke) and see just how BORED they get then.

What is it with the generation of parents who bring these kids up, so when they reach 11 upwards, aboslutely nothing seems to interest them. Whatever happened to 'family'? My guess is that the mums are halfway into a bottle of Newcastle Brown and the men are fiddling with their cars. At least, in POrtsmouth anyway.

There ya go, rant over.

Do I feel better? NO, BUt either way, I will smile for my daughter, at least.

ON a lighter note, she was very brave and showed a trace of her mum's personality, she seemed to enjoy all the attention of lots of big men in uniforms!!!
[Reply]
Buleste 11:04 30th July 2008
Glad to hear both you and your daughter are both physically unharmed.

I'm surpised mothers around Pompy are drinking Dog. Around my way it's Wife Beater (Stella) all the way.

I agree with the sending of arsonists to one of the training courses with the Fire Service. The Firemen/women wearing breathing apperatus and the arse-onist without. It might just scare them into some sense.
[Reply]
Teho 13:19 30th July 2008
Holy.. I'm glad you both made it out ok. Things like that can go real nasty. Can only offer my sympathies at this point as I'm allready a little pissed at the darker side of society and the fact that people seem to be doing very little about it.
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 15
Up