Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2 3 4
Thread: Anti Virus software
Stephen Coates 13:18 11th December 2007
Well, my bank account still hasn't been emptied, and there is no spyware on the system as I checked it a while ago.
[Reply]
Harrison 13:29 11th December 2007
No way of knowing if your system has been infected since that scan.

And how do you know that someone hasn't stolen your personal details and there is now another Stephen Coates living in luxury somewhere devaluing your credit rating into bankruptcy, until suddenly lots of letters come through your door saying you owe lots of people lots of money?
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 14:38 11th December 2007
Is hacking really a problem on the Amiga these days?

Maybe there is another David Watts using your identity somewhere. No firewall or scanner will protect your identify when you give your details to humans.
[Reply]
Harrison 14:48 11th December 2007
The problem isn't related to the Amiga; internet connection hacking is based on intercepting data through insecure ports. Therefore it doesn't matter which OS or system you are using as a hacker can still intercept unsecured data as it passes through the network.

As for there being another with my name, I fully expect there is as it is surprisingly quite a common name. There were two of us in my own school, and don't forget there is even a song written about me!

Joking aside, yes you can still have your identify stolen outside of the internet. Leaving your name and address on junk mail you throw away can be used by people, but worst is disposing of bank, credit card and utility bill statements in the trash without first shredding them. Of course there are also most sophisticated id cloning methods out there and for those we have less protection. But it is best just to be as safe and security concious as we can be.
[Reply]
AlexJ 15:31 11th December 2007
Originally Posted by Harrison:
Joking aside, yes you can still have your identify stolen outside of the internet. Leaving your name and address on junk mail you throw away can be used by people, but worst is disposing of bank, credit card and utility bill statements in the trash without first shredding them.
Actually the worst thing of all for avoiding ID fraud is living in the UK, with our governments disregard for basic IT security.
[Reply]
TiredOfLife 12:46 12th December 2007
The connection software with OS4.0 comes with a built in firewall.
Under 3.9 MiamiDX has a firewall built in.
There also the option to have a hardware firewall as well with mots routers.

Before I forget, welcome to the site. Softlad.
[Reply]
Harrison 13:55 12th December 2007
That is good to know that if does come with a firewall.

Amazing how quickly this thread went off topic. Faster than usual!
[Reply]
Buleste 14:02 12th December 2007
That is good to know that if does come with a firewall.

Amazing how quickly this thread went off topic. Faster than usual!
Sounds like a challenge to me.
[Reply]
Submeg 20:45 12th December 2007
Yep, I'm up for that!
[Reply]
J T 09:56 13th December 2007
There were two of us in my own school, and don't forget there is even a song written about me!
Is it by Scissor Sisters?
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3 4
Up