Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
Poll: How much would the non-existance of the Amiga affect computing?
How much would the non-existance of the Amiga affect computing?
  • View Poll Results

1 2 3
    Thread: What if the Amiga was never built...
    Submeg 20:42 12th December 2007
    Lol, yep your insane nature has now caused international concern. You must be dealt with swiftly and strictly.
    [Reply]
    woody.cool 06:57 2nd August 2011
    Back on topic!

The Amiga was so versatile. The OS surpassed anything at the time. Without the Amiga, there'd probably be bits of Windows, Linux and/or Mac OS that were not quite the same.
    Ah well, I get all nostalgic when I fire up Amiga Workbench anyway.
    [Reply]
    Harrison 11:47 2nd August 2011
    Wow! Old topic revival. Great to see something brought back to live though.

It does always annoy me when reading a lot of books written about the history of computing that they completely bypass the Amiga and its place in history. So often citing the Mac as the only influence over the whole WIMP and multimedia OS revolution. The Amiga was a true multimedia system years before the term was invented, and although it has been said many times before, was providing true preemptive multitasking many years before most others. The Mac didn't even get real multitasking until OSX for example.
    [Reply]
    Puni/Void 18:03 3rd August 2011
    Originally Posted by Harrison:
    Wow! Old topic revival. Great to see something brought back to live though.

It does always annoy me when reading a lot of books written about the history of computing that they completely bypass the Amiga and its place in history. So often citing the Mac as the only influence over the whole WIMP and multimedia OS revolution. The Amiga was a true multimedia system years before the term was invented, and although it has been said many times before, was providing true preemptive multitasking many years before most others. The Mac didn't even get real multitasking until OSX for example.
    I agree with you, Harrison. I also think it's annoying that the Amiga is neglected in the history of computing. It's strange, but sometimes it seems like everything surrounding the Amiga is being left out by the "historians". We all know that the Amiga kicked ass back in the days when it came to multitasking, OS and so on.

Amiga rulez!
    [Reply]
    Phantom 15:10 29th August 2011
    Computing without Amiga is like Universe without Earth.
    [Reply]
    Tags:Array
    1 2 3
    Up