Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
Thread: Got a Bargin PC: Now what to do!
StuKeith 22:15 30th November 2007
My inlaw brought a new pc as he thought the old one was faulty. He let me have it for £20 (minus hdd/ram) as it needed a new mobo!

I went to PC world to pick up a cheep stick of DDR2 ram and the bloke there said there is a bug in vista which causes it to lose its IDE drives (Which this was doing) Apparntly theres a Reg patch he just installs from his pen drive!

Well I stuck my sata drive and cdrom in and booted from CDrom RESULT! installed vista to get a score ~(2.0, as using onboard VGA) and the CPU is better than mine! 4.8 as opposed to 4! SO now im going to stick all my gubbins into this unit!

SO for £50 I got

New MATX Case
300w PSU
Intel Pentium DCore 3gig
1GIG DDR2 Ram
Foxxcon Mobo with 4Sata GB Ethernet and 8usb, only one IDE Mind.
Vista Premium Licence
Now do I

A) Sell my AMD 3700+, 1GIG Matched OCZ Ram, Mobo use money for new GPU, bearing my GPU is a 7600GS 512mb which I will then sale.

B) Keep it and convert to my server and sell the old server with a 40gb hdd and CD rom.

I also have an Athlon XP2600system with 512mb and no HDD (giving to fix, but told to dump needed new hdd, but has new case) to sale and a Duron 900mhz PC with IDE Zip that I use for my linux box.

My current server is an Athlon XP2200 with 512mb (maybe 1gig)

Decisions decisions
[Reply]
Tags:Array
Up