Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
View Poll Results: What programming languages do you know?
C Varients 5 38.46%
Amiga Basic 2 15.38%
GFA basic 0 0%
Amos 5 38.46%
Blitz Basic 4 30.77%
Assembler 2 15.38%
QBasic 1 7.69%
Visual Basic 3 23.08%
Fortran 2 15.38%
Ada 1 7.69%
Delphi 1 7.69%
Pascal 3 23.08%
Java 3 23.08%
Cobol 4 30.77%
Other (Please Say) 7 53.85%
Multiple Choice Poll. Voters: 13. This poll is closed
1 2 3 4 5 6
Thread: What programming languages do you know?
Stephen Coates 08:41 30th November 2007
Originally Posted by Sharingan:
If programming the microwave oven to heat up last evening's leftovers counts, then yeah, I know a programming language!

Otherwise, my knowledge of programming is exactly zip, zero, zilch, nada. I was never interested in writing code, even though I was a total computer geek. Big respect to people who can, though. All that hocus pocus sounds mighty complicated to me.
I don't think Microwave oven counts, but they are electronics devices that need to be programmes, and they are all different, so I suppose it could be.

In addition to BBC BASIC, I also know a tiny bit of HTML.
[Reply]
Harrison 11:23 30th November 2007
Some state that they don't recognise HTML (Hypertext Markup Language) as a language, which in a way is true because although it does contain structure, it doesn't in itself contain any logic and requires another proper language (such as ASP or PHP) to provide the logic. HTML is really just a document layout structure describer that other languages use to output their end results, which is then itself passed through a parser (the browser) which interpretes how it should look.

But, without HTML (or XHTML as should now be used) any serverside code wouldn't have a way to display its end results, so I see it more as a component of all web development languages, rather than as a language in its own right. The same is true of CSS and all derivations of XML.
[Reply]
Submeg 11:36 30th November 2007
pfft nerds.
[Reply]
Harrison 11:40 30th November 2007
*cough* And who here is actually doing a degree in programming?
[Reply]
Submeg 11:44 30th November 2007
not me, Im an ENGINEER. lol actually, I had to go see my program director today, worked out some little kinks, cant wait til 2009 will be such an easy year
[Reply]
Harrison 12:39 30th November 2007
But an engineer is someone who uses other people inventions/code to solve a problem.
[Reply]
AlexJ 12:50 30th November 2007
Originally Posted by Harrison:
But an engineer is someone who uses other people inventions/code to solve a problem.
Adapting and implementing an existing system is one thing an engineer might do. It's quite possible though that they would have to design a completely new system.
[Reply]
Puni/Void 19:33 30th November 2007
The only programming language I feel really comfortable with, is AMOS. Have been coding in this language since the middle of the 90's and I still find it fun.

I also have a bit of experience with Blitz Basic, but not enough to sign it up as a language I know.
[Reply]
Submeg 21:02 30th November 2007
Originally Posted by AlexJ:
Originally Posted by Harrison:
Adapting and implementing an existing system is one thing an engineer might do. It's quite possible though that they would have to design a completely new system.
If I was a software engineer, maybe....I'm more looking at the bigger stuff...screw making code, that sh1t is fcuked.
[Reply]
Stephen Coates 10:34 1st December 2007
What kind of engineer are you Submeg?
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2 3 4 5 6
Up