Classicamiga Forum Retro Edition
1 2
Thread: Best concept album?
v85rawdeal 14:26 28th November 2007
It means that for me it was a natural inclusion!
[Reply]
Harrison 14:32 28th November 2007
As already mentioned in the Floyd thread one of mine is The Wall. I love that album and can listen to it over and over again. I think this has to be up there as one of the best. Plus many of their other albums are right alongside in the same category.

Another group I have to mention is The Beatles, especially the Sgt. Pepper album, which was one of the very first concept albums to push music forward beyond standard pop music of the time. With their later albums you can really see a shift in ideas, Their first few albums were just a collection of songs, whereas their later albums contained themes and common threads that were reflected throughout the albums.

Peter Gabriel and Kate Bush are two others that have explored the concept album idea extensively with many of their albums. Kate Bush especially with many albums focusing around a central theme. The Red Shoes being possibly the biggest to explore this, being completely based on the Hans Christian Andersen story about a ballet dancer.

And who could talk about this without mentioning Iron Maiden! Seventh Son of a Seventh Son has to be one of the best concept albums ever! Plus a few others like Somewhere in Time do sort of follow a story/theme throughout.

Oh and Fields of the Nephilim. Albums like Revelations and Elizium explore the Nephilim, as do all of their albums. Same is true for many other gothic groups. Could you include the Sisters of Mercy's Floodland album here?

A very different style has to be instrumental concept albums. Jean Michel Jarre must be the greatest for me with each of his albums being completely conceptual in natural and exploring themes and ideas. For me the early album Equinoxe is my favourite, followed by Oxygene.

What else? How about Steve Vai and Joe Satriani? and I can't finish without mentioning Led Zeppelin!
[Reply]
v85rawdeal 14:33 28th November 2007
Hoping to get Mothership in my santa's stocking this year!
[Reply]
Buleste 14:45 28th November 2007
Originally Posted by v85rawdeal:
I'm hoping to get a pretty women in any stocking this christmas.
[Reply]
v85rawdeal 14:47 28th November 2007
Originally Posted by Buleste:
Originally Posted by v85rawdeal:
I'm hoping to get a pretty women in any stocking this christmas.
I'm not picky, any woman wil.....

uh, um...

EDIT: okay then ...er.... i was only supposed to think that!
[Reply]
TiredOfLife 23:26 29th November 2007
Got to be The Wall for me as well.

Jean Michelle Jarre stuff is excellent.
[Reply]
LowercaseE 15:27 6th February 2008
I can't believe no one has mentioned any King Diamond albums yet, most specifically Them or Abigail. Both of them used to scare me when I was younger and Them still creeps me out.

Of course the King is an acquired taste and not for everybody so maybe that's why there hasn't been mention of him.
[Reply]
toomanymikes 19:10 6th February 2008
frances the mute by the mars volta. heavy acid metal jazz crazyness
[Reply]
Demon Cleaner 05:12 7th February 2008
Originally Posted by LowercaseE:
I can't believe no one has mentioned any King Diamond albums yet, most specifically Them or Abigail. Both of them used to scare me when I was younger and Them still creeps me out.

Of course the King is an acquired taste and not for everybody so maybe that's why there hasn't been mention of him.
I had both of the albums you mentioned, but didn't like them very much because of the vocals. I found that the guitars were pretty solid, and the music too, but when he begins to cry, it is too much for me.

I have a friend who always makes me laugh when he jokes about King Diamond and sings the refrain of Family Ghost, that is just so funny
[Reply]
Tags:Array
1 2
Up